Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default adaptive Cruise Control

I have been trying to use this feature in stop and go traffic. I feel it breaks way too late, to the point as a panic stop instead on slowing down before you need to. I have set the distance to the max and still feels it reacts too late to the car ahead. Anyone else feel this way ?
Old 06-14-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have the same issue. It should slow more gradually at times but sometimes works well.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I don't have experience with the system in the e-tron, but what mode is your car in? ACC is affected by the current Drive Select mode. In Comfort it should be more relaxed and slow down earlier, and it gets progressively more aggressive in Auto and Dynamic.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also found it will sometimes work better if the max speed is set to 20mph in stop & go traffic. If it's set higher, the vehicle sometimes seems to want to accelerate too quickly and then stop late. But, in all honesty, it is inconsistent.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Comfort.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't have experience with the system in the e-tron, but what mode is your car in? ACC is affected by the current Drive Select mode. In Comfort it should be more relaxed and slow down earlier, and it gets progressively more aggressive in Auto and Dynamic.
since my E1 has been returned to the dealer for the recall, I am driving my loaner, an A8L. This car ACC has the same issues and inconsistent performance as my E1. I feel like it has poor "vision" and depth of field, so it reacts too late. I keep my foot near the brake and most of the time I have to override the system and start braking. I feel Audi needs to refine their system....kind of like Windows 1.0 lol
Old 06-15-2019, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't they all like this? My Kia brakes way late for stopped traffic, but if everyone is moving kinda slowly and consistently, it's great. I love TACC, so taking a step down here going from Kia to Audi would really suck.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I think a lot of this has to do with one's personal driving style. With ACC engaged one essentially becomes a passenger and may find that the automated driving style does not line up with their own or is outside their own comfort zone. I do find that ACC and the assist systems overall work better in my new C63S than any Audi I've driven, but I never particularly had issues with Audi's ACC implementation. I personally am a spirited driver and I brake late myself, so I never really had issues with ACC. I did however have to learn to trust it and that took some time. I think it does help to keep an eye on the assist display to see if it "sees" the car ahead of you or not and then learn to trust it.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-15-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

It’s hit and miss with me as well but compared to the 2017 A4 I had I can see good improvements. The car responds more quickly when others cut in front of it whereas on the A4 I had to interject 95% of the time.

steering and lane guidance seem to be more smoother as well. I love that you just have to touch the steering wheel to let the car know you’re still paying attention vs on the A4 you often has to jolt the wheel.

my understanding is the car is equipped with a lidar sensor vs the radar the A4 had. Not sure if this is correct but it would explain the responsiveness of the eTron.

The A4 would signal when it was going into traffic jam mode but it doesn’t do this on the eTron. I don’t know whether I’m missing something or it’s just constantly on and self driving now regardless of speed. I do wish Audi would increase the time a little before the alerts come up telling you to put your hands on the wheel but compared to the A4 system I do see improvements all the same.

If the car is in fact equipped with lidar I wonder if Audi will make autonomous driving a subscription feature when its more advanced / common in other vehicles.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 PM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We have been bmw 7 series owners for years and our ‘17 750 ACC and Lane Keeping is far superior to Audi’s. I find the Audi wanders and often jerks the car back into the center of the lane. The 7 has superior cameras it seems as it looks farther ahead when lane keeping. It does a good job parking itself as well although a bit hairy the first couple of times you use it. Daughter’s Tesla 3 Auto Pilot is very good, too, as you can see all the cars around it on its huge center video screen when activated. It will change lanes very smoothly. All are victims of the poor lane markings we have on local roads in FL so the lane keeping toggles on and off at times. Does anyone know it the self parking feature is available on Q8 or A8?

Quick Reply: adaptive Cruise Control