Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

First post! Questions about potential build

Old 06-14-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First post! Questions about potential build

Hello everyone!

Been lurking here for a few months now. Getting ready to finally pull the trigger on a new Q7.

I went to Audi of SF today and they offered a Prestige Orca Black with Black interior. It had what I mostly wanted including:

-Black Optic Package
-Adaptive Chassis
-22” 5-V wheels with summer tires

-Cold weather package (don’t really need this)
-Towing package (don’t like the bumper cutout but it’s not the end of the world)
-Audi beam rings front and back
-A few other smaller BS things

The issue that I have is that I rather have the nougat interior and don’t really need some of the items (mentioned above). They ended up giving me another discount to cover most of the unwanted items.

The before TTL price was fairly decent (am I allowed to post it?), almost 11% off. Would you pull the trigger?

Also, I haven’t seen one in person yet (just some pics), but I am also interested in the Navarra Blue with nougat interior. The interesting thing the salesperson said is that I can certainly order the exact configuration I want but the final price would not be known until it’s ready for pick up by me since Audi incentives change all the time and are only applicable and valid for the time period it applies to. He estimated that it would take about 3 months to arrive which would put us at the end of another quarter (this is good for pricing since it also means the end of this generation before the 2020s are introduced). So my question here is — would you instead custom order exactly what you want but potentially end up paying more (could be less too!)? Or would you just take the build above?

Thank you all for helping a newb!
Old 06-14-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Trancemission
Hello everyone!

Also, I haven’t seen one in person yet (just some pics), but I am also interested in the Navarra Blue with nougat interior. The interesting thing the salesperson said is that I can certainly order the exact configuration I want but the final price would not be known until it’s ready for pick up by me since Audi incentives change all the time and are only applicable and valid for the time period it applies to.
I have to wonder if that is not BS. We ordered ours (not custom but it had not been built yet, was just scheduled to be built) and we got a firm price.

I also would think that you will always (and especially with an upcoming design change) get a better price on dealer inventory since factory ordering one (either custom or scheduled) does nothing to reduce dealer inventory

On a personal note, have a look that the cedar brown interior. I like that better with the blue (this is what we are getting - currently in transit). Just taste, of course.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Astropup
I have to wonder if that is not BS. We ordered ours (not custom but it had not been built yet, was just scheduled to be built) and we got a firm price.

I also would think that you will always (and especially with an upcoming design change) get a better price on dealer inventory since factory ordering one (either custom or scheduled) does nothing to reduce dealer inventory

On a personal note, have a look that the cedar brown interior. I like that better with the blue (this is what we are getting - currently in transit). Just taste, of course.
Cedar brown is very nice but I don’t think I wanna pay for the luxury package — it’s cost is like everything else I optioned to include!

Yeah, I think it was odd that I wasn’t able to get a confirmed price on an order (isn’t by definition anything that is not on the lot or coming into port a “custom order”?) that has yet to be built.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

On the issue of price...

I am in the process of purchasing a Q7 now. The dealer found me a Floret Silver Metalic, Titanium Black optic, Adaptive chassis, cold weather, towing package car. It was exactly what I wanted and it was sitting in the port, just off of the ship in a storage lot.

They gave me a price and we agreed, nothing like 11% but a good price based on what I’ve seen. I’d wrapped up my negotiating by Wednesday afternoon and they secured the car that had actually been in another dealers inventory. Next came process of arranging to have the car delivered from the port storage facility. They said that this would take as long as a week...

Today I was in the area so I stopped in. The sales manager informed me that the vehicle could be here as soon as Monday but the better news was that Audi had announced a new sales program this morning that resulted in an additional $2000 off of the price.

i don’t think anyone at the dealer had knowledge of the program in advance. It simply became available and they passed on the offer.

Manufacturers manage stock levels by adding and sometimes removing incentive programs and the dealer doesn’t know what will be offered even a few days from now. This makes it difficult to hold a price over a long period.

The other part of this story that was different for me was my trade in.

I’ve been driving a very nice diesel pick up for the past 3 years. It is clean and very nice and the Audi dealer offered me a trade in that was on the low side of the KBB “Very good condition” value. The truck is actually in very nice condition and has far more value than I’d expected so I was not entirely unhappy with their number.

The dealer explained that they had to be a little cautious with something like a truck as it was so unusual a vehicle for them to resell. The sales manager also said that because the truck was so clean and had such low mileage that I might be wise to see what CarMax would offer.

i was not even aware that CarMax purchased vehces outright but as this state offers no tax shelter on truck trade in, I had nothing to loose. To cut to the end, CarMax offered me $2000 more for my truck than the dealer who was happy not to have the unknown of a vehicle they typically do not see.

So, today my new Audi Q7 deal became exactly $4000 less... it was a good kind of day.

The following users liked this post:
diverej (08-29-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 281 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce B
So, today my new Audi Q7 deal became exactly $4000 less... it was a good kind of day.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce B
On the issue of price...

I am in the process of purchasing a Q7 now. The dealer found me a Floret Silver Metalic, Titanium Black optic, Adaptive chassis, cold weather, towing package car. It was exactly what I wanted and it was sitting in the port, just off of the ship in a storage lot.

They gave me a price and we agreed, nothing like 11% but a good price based on what I’ve seen. I’d wrapped up my negotiating by Wednesday afternoon and they secured the car that had actually been in another dealers inventory. Next came process of arranging to have the car delivered from the port storage facility. They said that this would take as long as a week...

Today I was in the area so I stopped in. The sales manager informed me that the vehicle could be here as soon as Monday but the better news was that Audi had announced a new sales program this morning that resulted in an additional $2000 off of the price.

i don’t think anyone at the dealer had knowledge of the program in advance. It simply became available and they passed on the offer.

Manufacturers manage stock levels by adding and sometimes removing incentive programs and the dealer doesn’t know what will be offered even a few days from now. This makes it difficult to hold a price over a long period.

The other part of this story that was different for me was my trade in.

I’ve been driving a very nice diesel pick up for the past 3 years. It is clean and very nice and the Audi dealer offered me a trade in that was on the low side of the KBB “Very good condition” value. The truck is actually in very nice condition and has far more value than I’d expected so I was not entirely unhappy with their number.

The dealer explained that they had to be a little cautious with something like a truck as it was so unusual a vehicle for them to resell. The sales manager also said that because the truck was so clean and had such low mileage that I might be wise to see what CarMax would offer.

i was not even aware that CarMax purchased vehces outright but as this state offers no tax shelter on truck trade in, I had nothing to loose. To cut to the end, CarMax offered me $2000 more for my truck than the dealer who was happy not to have the unknown of a vehicle they typically do not see.

Ive checked carvana and vroom and they both beat carmax prices easily. Carmax has a lot of overhead. Plug your vin of your truck on carvana and see what the price is. You dont have to give them contact info for an offer.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

The only 19 you can order now would be an SE, which has different package options vs the standard 19 and different pricing. Production on those will cease soon as they tool up for the '20

The salesperson is correct, incentives change monthly, and they cannot be locked in in advance. But, you can easily negotiate a price exclusive of incentives, which is what people do

An order is just that - a vehicle the dealer builds to your spec. Not having it in stock does not make it an order, as mentioned, vehicles can be located. However, not all dealers do this, and only will sell what they have in their own inventory, or, build what they don't have. Varies dealer to dealer.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 06-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by billm0066
Ive checked carvana and vroom and they both beat carmax prices easily. Carmax has a lot of overhead. Plug your vin of your truck on carvana and see what the price is. You dont have to give them contact info for an offer.
I just checked Carvana, the offer was more that $1500 below what CarMax offered.
I appreciate the info but it appears that I’ve done as well as I can expect.
Bruce
Old 06-15-2019, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The only 19 you can order now would be an SE, which has different package options vs the standard 19 and different pricing. Production on those will cease soon as they tool up for the '20

The salesperson is correct, incentives change monthly, and they cannot be locked in in advance. But, you can easily negotiate a price exclusive of incentives, which is what people do

An order is just that - a vehicle the dealer builds to your spec. Not having it in stock does not make it an order, as mentioned, vehicles can be located. However, not all dealers do this, and only will sell what they have in their own inventory, or, build what they don't have. Varies dealer to dealer.
Yeah I figured as much. So I went to another dealership today and he beat the price by another $900, so now we’re about a solid 12% off. This said, it is still an orca black with black interior. This dealership had a another Q7 with cedar brown in it and I really liked it, but it was missing the adaptive chassis and had 21s. Now I can’t “unsee” it. I’m wondering if I should just go for this deal or try to get them to order me one with the cedar interior (which means paying nearly $6000 more). Ugh.

I also test drove an orca black with murillo brown interior. The brown was very surprising to me at first glance as it looked almost all grey. The dealership didn’t have any cars (not just the Q7, but all models) with nougat, but after seeing the swatch, I was not particularly fond of it.

There was yet another Q7 with Murillo brown that he found at another dealership (with all the other options I wanted). He quoted me about $10k off, which would be about 11.5% off msrp. I just find it hard to justify paying another $2500 on top of the luxury price add on.

What would you guys do? Anyone else have an orca black with cedar interior?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I always just decide how much something is worth to me, I don't worry about market conditions or anything, if I'm happy with a price I spend money if not I keep my money.

e.g. if you're willing to pay $70k for your dream Q7 exactly how you want it, if the MSRP of said car is $60k you're probably going to be happy, if its $80k you'll need to negotiate or make some compromises. Most people would be in the latter boat. None the less all the compromises have a cost and its upto you to decide what its worth. I decided when I ordered my vehicle I'd rather wait and get exactly what I wanted (and pay a bit more because as a rule of thumb you'll do best negotiating on existing inventory). I drive it every day and its an expensive purchase, I didn't want any regrets.

That said there's certainly an amount I'd be willing to give up to save some money I'd take a sub-optimal color to save ~$3k or more if I hated the color it'd have to be more like $10k, I'm not too fussy about color, before I got the car I might have had a price to give up the drivers assistance package, after having it though its worth substantially more to me than its sticker price and a car without it is almost worthless to me (I would have to flip it quickly and make money to even consider it).

I don't think anyone can make those decisions for you, but my generic advise is if you're not in a hurry and money isn't an issue get exactly what you want, if time is an issue you'll have to find one that already exists, if money is an issue I'd probably sacrifice asthetic features first, performance features 2nd, safety features 3rd, comfort features last to make the car more affordable, but that order is of course personal preference yours may be very different. (it may more more sense to just drop the more expensive features). Sometimes the way to do it is lowball the dealer on something if they take it, just go with it otherwise find what you want because you won't be happy with the compromise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First post! Questions about potential build