A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

20mm sports suspension review

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 20mm sports suspension review

Hi guys new this forum. I just ordered a premium plus A6 with the 20” inch wheels and 20mm sports drop.

I thinking I made the wrong choice as I live in the NYC area where roads are horrible. I dont like harsh suspensions and I am coming out of a X5 with adaptive dampers.

can anyone chime in on how this suspension feels over rough pavement?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mn3484
Hi guys new this forum. I just ordered a premium plus A6 with the 20” inch wheels and 20mm sports drop.

I thinking I made the wrong choice as I live in the NYC area where roads are horrible. I dont like harsh suspensions and I am coming out of a X5 with adaptive dampers.

can anyone chime in on how this suspension feels over rough pavement?
I have same sports package wheels and suspension height, with Pirelli P-Zero summer tires. Ride is generally decent, even over rough terrain, but the main problem is what feels “decent” to me may feel “great “or “horrible” to you.

In comparing it to a Q7 and Q5 I’ve had as loaners, the Q’s ride were generally more supple and quiet- (especially the tire noise), but not so dramatically different that I regret getting the A6. And what I subtly lose in “ride quality,” I gain in handling and cornering due to lower center of gravity. Again, I think you’re going have to see for yourself if the ride is comfortable enough for your expectations.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the sport suspension along with 20" rims with our 2019 A7 and live in Chicago. I don't think our roads are much better. Previous car was a 2015 A7 with standard suspension and 19" rims. Always felt the ride was a bit too soft.

I've had no issues and I like the ride. However, you do have to be aware of the road ahead of you and take action when needed (slow down, avoid, etc...)

I'd recommend the all-season tires.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

In general and my experiences the Audi sport suspensions are too harsh for anyone who does not desire sport level performance. Are they tolerable, absolutely, but if you want a plush ride you will not be happy.
You have to remember they design and build the A6 around the standard, comfortable suspension, then lower it with stiffer springs and dampers, put on very slightly thicker sway bars and add the 20" ultra low profile tires. All things that add to perceived harshness.
The exception to this was the C7 S6 and perhaps the C8 where they were smart enough to outfit it with adaptive air suspension to allow for comfort in one mode and stiffness in another....even with air on 20" dynamic mode can be bone jarring.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Pardon my cross-posting to this forum as I have an A7 (see details below in my signature)...

Coming out of a NWB A8, one of my priorities in selecting my options was the ride quality. My S-Line Prestige does have the 20mm drop but any ride roughness is, IMO, mitigated by the Air Suspension component of the Adaptive Chassis Package. I LOVE this car! Moreover, I had the opportunity to compare my ride to that of a loaner 2019 Q5, which I found too floaty and disconnected from the road.

If you can commit to the cost of the Adaptive Chassis option, go for it without hesitation. As a side benefit, the Dynamic Steering advantage is a bonus. Slow speed (<15mph) the turning radius is mind-blowing.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by doctorharrison; 06-17-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:52 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
Pardon my cross-posting to this forum as I have an A7 (see details below in my signature)...

Coming out of a NWB A8, one of my priorities in selecting my options was the ride quality. My S-Line Prestige does have the 20mm drop but any ride roughness is, IMO, mitigated by the Air Suspension component of the Adaptive Chassis Package. I LOVE this car! Moreover, I had the opportunity to compare my ride to that of a loaner 2019 Q5, which I found too floaty and disconnected from the road.

If you can commit to the cost of the Adaptive Chassis option, go for it without hesitation. As a side benefit, the Dynamic Steering advantage is a bonus. Slow speed (<15mph) the turning radius is mind-blowing.

​​​​​​​
Very nice.
I see the adaptive chassis package was a late addition to the C8 are you 100% certain it is an air suspension? The downloadable brochure just states "Adaptive damping suspension". Usually they make a note if it is an air suspension otherwise the assumption it is just specifically electronically adaptive rate shocks on steel springs like the S4. A full factory air suspension on an A6/7 would be a first in the US.
What was the option cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Very nice.
I see the adaptive chassis package was a late addition to the C8 are you 100% certain it is an air suspension? The downloadable brochure just states "Adaptive damping suspension". Usually they make a note if it is an air suspension otherwise the assumption it is just specifically electronically adaptive rate shocks on steel springs like the S4. A full factory air suspension on an A6/7 would be a first in the US.
What was the option cost if you don't mind me asking?
Thank you for the clarification - I stand corrected in that the "Air Suspension" is limited to the A8
The brochure states "the available Adaptive Damping Suspension...adjusts shock absorber pressure to help provide a smooth ride and enhance dynamic response in the turns". No mention of Air. In reality and in spite of the S-Line's stiffer and lower suspension, I find the ride quality to be truly excellent. YMMV

The option is described on the build sheet as PHR, requires the S-Line option, and is part of the Adaptive Chassis Package along with Dynamic All Wheel Steering and priced at $2500
Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
Thank you for the clarification - I stand corrected in that the "Air Suspension" is limited to the A8
The brochure states "the available Adaptive Damping Suspension...adjusts shock absorber pressure to help provide a smooth ride and enhance dynamic response in the turns". No mention of Air. In reality and in spite of the S-Line's stiffer and lower suspension, I find the ride quality to be truly excellent. YMMV

The option is described on the build sheet as PHR, requires the S-Line option, and is part of the Adaptive Chassis Package along with Dynamic All Wheel Steering and priced at $2500
OK, thanks for the clarification.
The adaptive damping rate certainly is a nice feature, they would have made a bigger deal if air finally debuted in the US.
20mm lower and softer springs with electronic dampers that can stiffen things up if wanted is definitely a better way to go over just a sport suspension where everything is stiffer.
I've heard very good things about the C7 RS7 DRC suspension which is an option to air and is similar to your adaptive chassis just with hydraulic lines linking the dampers for improved handling ability.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sports Package w/ the 21" wheel package. Ride is fine. I think it would be a tad more comfortable on a smaller diameter. But the look is great.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the 20" package and live in Seattle where the potholes frequently have their own zip codes. I haven't once thought it had a harsh ride. Soaks up bumps as you would expect from a luxury car but also allows for some sportier driving. No regrets and IMHO it's the sweet spot visually for this car.

Quick Reply: 20mm sports suspension review