Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2017 Audi A6 Competition wheel options (winter set)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2017 Audi A6 Competition wheel options (winter set)

Hello I recently purchased a 2017 Audi A6 Competition with the 20" wheels (and fairly sized brake callipers) and I was looking at options for a winter set of rims/tires. From what I have read so far it doesn't seem possible to fit 18" wheels on this car because of the callipers... I'd then be looking at a 19" set but just want to confirm it will fit. Doe 8.5J x 19 rims ET45 with 255/40R19 tires make sense? There are 10 times more options for winter tires in 19" vs 20".

Old 06-18-2019, 10:01 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The calipers are the same, just painted. I had a 17 A6 3.0 and your calipers are exactly like mine. 18" will fit fine for winter setup.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bpd
The calipers are the same, just painted. I had a 17 A6 3.0 and your calipers are exactly like mine. 18" will fit fine for winter setup.
Sounds good I'm glad to hear that. What size of tire did you use?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

You can look at my signature as a stater for winter wheels/tire sizes courtesy of Tire Rack...
Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Simon Deschenes
Sounds good I'm glad to hear that. What size of tire did you use?
I just used the oem size for 18" option. That is the size my A6 came with. 245/45-18 You can use this site as reference for oem sizes. You can find wheels on craigslist, offerup, ebay, or even in the forum's classifieds. For winter wheels, I did not want to spend a lot for seasonal use. Owner's preference. I found my winter wheels from ebay that were new A7 replica for $400 shipped. Got the tires from discounttiredirect.com. Tire rack has good options too.

https://www.wheel-size.com/

Last edited by bpd; 06-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

@Simon Deschenes
I just purchased 2017 Competition and am in the same boat.
Were you able to use regular A6 18" rims for your winter setup?
I live in Ottawa, Canada, and winters here are brutal. I would not mind having a bit larger tires.
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2021, 03:09 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by olikoli
@Simon Deschenes
I just purchased 2017 Competition and am in the same boat.
Were you able to use regular A6 18" rims for your winter setup?
I live in Ottawa, Canada, and winters here are brutal. I would not mind having a bit larger tires.
Thanks!
Yes you can get regular A6 rims or just get aftermarket ones. Up to you. If you feel like getting larger tires like in diameter (19") you can do that too. Thing is, when you go to 19's the sidewall is reduced. If you have brutal winters, I would like to have a higher sidewall. Difference between 18 vs 19 isn't much, but every little bit helps. If you want a wider tire, that is not good for snow or ice. Go to Tirerack.com on an article about buying winter tires. Wider tires tend to hydroplane in slush or snow. You want to cut thru snow/slush not plow it. Hope that makes sense. Some folks like to get real nice looking rims for snow. I get rims for practicality. They are only on for a season, and if I slide into something, I won't get too upset if the rim gets ruined. Also Tirerack has a tool to select rim sizes and 18 will fit.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

bpd, thanks so much for your reply.
I was just worried about the caliper clearance. I also took a look at Tire Rack and they are saying that it is possible, but I was just looking for a real world experience.
There is a great looking 18" set (used) here locally at a great price, and they are from an A6. Perhaps I could ask the seller to allow me to mount one just to be sure.
And you are very right when talking about wider tires and hydroplaning. I think that 18 would do just fine from the driving perspective but they would be a bit safer for the rims. I have a lot of experience of driving in winter here, and I always preferred a bit more "meat" on the rims. Pot holes grow in winter and they HUNT you LOL. Also they are often filled with slush and you do not even realize that it is there until you smack in it.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check here for the exact model

https://www.original-felgen.com/audi/a6/c7/

If buying non-oem, yea it's a wild west show and you should really physically check fitment ask me how I know lol

Last edited by mikemis; 05-12-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 05-12-2021, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikemis
You can check here for the exact model

https://www.original-felgen.com/audi/a7/4g/

If buying non-oem, yea it's a wild west show and you should really physically check fitment ask me how I know lol
Thanks so much! This is very useful website. It looks like the seller has original winter package from Audi. He said that it was on his A6 and that he got it at the dealership. I kind of believe it, and I was able to confirm with this website that these wheels are indeed sold on some models of A6. So it should be good to go. Thanks a million!

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi A6 Competition wheel options (winter set)