A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Interior Light at Night

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Light at Night

I have a black interior with a black headliner, and at night it's really hard to see anything inside of the car after it's parked and the door is opened. So if an item is in the passenger or rear seat, I cannot even see it to pick it up. There are map lights overhead near the rear view mirror, but they do not provide general illumination. All of my other cars have had a light in the center of the roof, but the Audi doesn't have a light at that location. Has anyone else had an issue with interior illumination on this car?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigk200
I have a black interior with a black headliner, and at night it's really hard to see anything inside of the car after it's parked and the door is opened. So if an item is in the passenger or rear seat, I cannot even see it to pick it up. There are map lights overhead near the rear view mirror, but they do not provide general illumination. All of my other cars have had a light in the center of the roof, but the Audi doesn't have a light at that location. Has anyone else had an issue with interior illumination on this car?
What model year Audi? I’ve got a 2019 Audi A4 (black/black like you) with the interior LED lighting and its sufficient (would prefer it 10/20% brighter however).

If you’ve got the interior LED lighting and its not bright enough for you, you can replace the bulbs with brighter LED bulbs - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...pping-2904346/
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

is your map light switch set to go on when the door is opened?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's a Premium Plus with the black optics package. It has the LED lighting, but it's more about looking really cool vs providing useful light.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
is your map light switch set to go on when the door is opened?
I'm not sure. I will check on that.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's a Premium Plus with the black optics package. It has the LED lighting, but it's more about looking really cool vs providing useful light.
in the overhead console, on the right hand side, you'll see a button with an open door. Press it. There will be a small LED light that illuminates red.

When you open a door, the map light for that door will go on. Close the door, light goes off. In VagCOM you might be able to code it so all map lights come on when you open the door, I'm not sure. I have an S4, so same setup as the A4 inside.

When I park my car at my house, there are times I leave it outside, behind the house as I had gravel done there and there is tons of room, but not always room in the garage. It's pitch black at night. While the light inside is dim if the driver side map light is on and I have an item on the passenger seat, it's enough to see whatever is there, whether it's an envelope, a set of keys, documents, etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

This is from the A4 B9 manual:
Old 06-24-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
in the overhead console, on the right hand side, you'll see a button with an open door. Press it. There will be a small LED light that illuminates red.

When you open a door, the map light for that door will go on. Close the door, light goes off. In VagCOM you might be able to code it so all map lights come on when you open the door, I'm not sure. I have an S4, so same setup as the A4 inside.

When I park my car at my house, there are times I leave it outside, behind the house as I had gravel done there and there is tons of room, but not always room in the garage. It's pitch black at night. While the light inside is dim if the driver side map light is on and I have an item on the passenger seat, it's enough to see whatever is there, whether it's an envelope, a set of keys, documents, etc.
Thank you for the tip on the button with an open door. That helped a lot.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you're welcome
Old 06-24-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I do not think that my car has the interior lighting option. When I go into the menus, I only get a screen where I can adjust interior lighting up or down, but it does not provide different zones such as from the footwell. Very likely, I would have had to buy a Prestige model to get that.

Quick Reply: Interior Light at Night