A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Shaking and idling hard

Old 06-23-2019, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking and idling hard

Hi I’m from Australia, I have a 2013 A4, it started idling and shaking hard when I’m in traffic moving slowly or reverse parking, also idles when I started the car sometimes, it even idles like it’d almost stall when I drive around 30 km/h or so, it did stall once completely when I took my foot of brake and started to move at traffic, however, there is no code shows up but did find oil in one of of spark plugs. I really did not want to spend thousands to fix something i could’ve done it cheaper. Any suggestions is very appreciated! Thanks so much!
Old 06-23-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I would start with the PCV Valve, search forum for that. It is not hard or expensive to replace, and can cause those symptoms, among many other things no doubt, but a likely suspect. Gl.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
I would start with the PCV Valve, search forum for that. It is not hard or expensive to replace, and can cause those symptoms, among many other things no doubt, but a likely suspect. Gl.
Thanks! I am going to get a new pcv valve today and hopefully it is the problem! Thank you! Just another wick question, so the oil in one of the spark plugs would fit the problem that’s caused by pcv valve as well?
Old 06-23-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KayleenW
Thanks! I am going to get a new pcv valve today and hopefully it is the problem! Thank you! Just another wick question, so the oil in one of the spark plugs would fit the problem that’s caused by pcv valve as well?
Oil , what oil. You didn't mention any oil so is it in the spark plug hole or is it on the plug tip when you remove it. If it's oil in the plug hole it might be a cam cover gasket. So where is it.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Oil , what oil. You didn't mention any oil so is it in the spark plug hole or is it on the plug tip when you remove it. If it's oil in the plug hole it might be a cam cover gasket. So where is it.

Oil in spark plug hole, just in one of them.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KayleenW
Oil in spark plug hole, just in one of them.
Cam cover gasket.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

PCV would have lots of DTCs popped, particularly misfires. Though that was the first thing I thought of from your problem description. What are you using to pull DTCs from the system?
When I had such a problem with an old car, it turned out to be a hole in the intake path between the MAF and throttle body. The flex tube along the way developed a crack at one of the flex seams.
In both cases, the problem was a lack of control of the intake air path between the MAF and the intake valves.
If you pull the cap out of the oil dipstick tube, change in idle? If you pull the tube from the PCV to the intake manifold off at one end and block both openings, change in idle?

Of course, it could be other things. Weak components in the spark path (coils/plugs). I don't know enough to know if the spark is stronger during higher loads, or if it's always the same current blast, to know if contamination such as oil could create weakness during low load.
Still, no misfires, would assume something common to all four cylinders, not to just one.

Could be clogging or another problem with the fuel delivery. Injectors, pump, etc. Without DTCs, you pretty much end up chasing down the mechanical operation of everything involved with creating combustion.
Or working through the real-time engine data to see what's not normal. But you don't have a normal engine anymore to contrast the measurements to.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
PCV would have lots of DTCs popped, particularly misfires. Though that was the first thing I thought of from your problem description. What are you using to pull DTCs from the system?
When I had such a problem with an old car, it turned out to be a hole in the intake path between the MAF and throttle body. The flex tube along the way developed a crack at one of the flex seams.
In both cases, the problem was a lack of control of the intake air path between the MAF and the intake valves.
If you pull the cap out of the oil dipstick tube, change in idle? If you pull the tube from the PCV to the intake manifold off at one end and block both openings, change in idle?

Of course, it could be other things. Weak components in the spark path (coils/plugs). I don't know enough to know if the spark is stronger during higher loads, or if it's always the same current blast, to know if contamination such as oil could create weakness during low load.
Still, no misfires, would assume something common to all four cylinders, not to just one.

Could be clogging or another problem with the fuel delivery. Injectors, pump, etc. Without DTCs, you pretty much end up chasing down the mechanical operation of everything involved with creating combustion.
Or working through the real-time engine data to see what's not normal. But you don't have a normal engine anymore to contrast the measurements to.
Thank you so much for such detailed response! My car didn’t show any codes at all. I have changed pcv valve just now. Took it for a test drive in slow speed, over 4 speed bumps in a row and also stopped at the light, haven’t made one sound like before...so right now I’m gingerly happy lol. Going to give it a few days and see if it actually solved the problem...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Cam cover gasket.
Ok changed that as well as pcv valve, it’s all running smooth now, but I’ll give it a few days just to make sure..thanks so much for your help!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770

Ok it happened again..didn’t last long. Just this time isn’t as frequent as it was before but definitely still is there...what’s the next thing I could do? Check vacuum leak or anything?