Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Dashcam footage of pre-sense in action

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Dashcam footage of pre-sense in action

Was set to "Early" setting, but since back it down one notch.
pre-sense jammed the brake much harder that you will perceive in the video.
Good that the car behind didn't crash into me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yqspn1LcJB3NJzHh6
Old 06-23-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

happened to me in the SQ5 also i guess better safe then sorry
Old 06-23-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

I had this happen to me on my A4 and was outright dangerous. There was a car in the distance in which I had ample time to complete my turn, on top of that the light was going red. I started to make my turn and halfway in the brakes got slammed on and car turned off with it's Auto \ Stop start turned on. When I tried to continue I ended up having to put the car in park and then drive again. Meanwhile the cross traffic was now being held up by me stuck in the middle of the intersection. Was a 2017 A4 Prestige and only a few weeks old at the time, never happened again but there was nothing worse sitting in the middle of an intersection trying to get a car to move because it overreacted
Old 06-23-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
I had this happen to me on my A4 and was outright dangerous. There was a car in the distance in which I had ample time to complete my turn, on top of that the light was going red. I started to make my turn and halfway in the brakes got slammed on and car turned off with it's Auto \ Stop start turned on. When I tried to continue I ended up having to put the car in park and then drive again. Meanwhile the cross traffic was now being held up by me stuck in the middle of the intersection. Was a 2017 A4 Prestige and only a few weeks old at the time, never happened again but there was nothing worse sitting in the middle of an intersection trying to get a car to move because it overreacted

i supersized auto on of turn on as you have to have your foot on brake for that to turn on. but who know glad you okay
Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

I too have dialed back Pre-sense.

The real dangerous piece is the lane keeping assist feature. This thing jumps in randomly and fights me for control of the vehicle. I have disabled it and recommend everyone else do so, esp. before bad weather sets in and everyone's operating error margins decline.....
Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
I too have dialed back Pre-sense.

The real dangerous piece is the lane keeping assist feature. This thing jumps in randomly and fights me for control of the vehicle. I have disabled it and recommend everyone else do so, esp. before bad weather sets in and everyone's operating error margins decline.....
Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the problem is Roads in rural USA are atrocious compared to this video....

Maybe I will give it another chance. It gets way way too close to line for my liking and then fights me when I nudge it. Sharper curves in particular it turns really late giving me anxiety before it belatedly jumps in. Happens at least a dozen times every drive. Maybe I need some training and risk tolerance but man this thing cuts it short.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
I think the problem is Roads in rural USA are atrocious compared to this video....

Maybe I will give it another chance. It gets way way too close to line for my liking and then fights me when I nudge it. Sharper curves in particular it turns really late giving me anxiety before it belatedly jumps in. Happens at least a dozen times every drive. Maybe I need some training and risk tolerance but man this thing cuts it short.
I used it yesterday on about 100 miles of I-95 in MA and RI, and it worked flawlessly. Weirdly, it seemed to track better after dark than during the day, maybe there's more contrast between the lines and the pavement in the dark...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I just completed a long trip and really enjoyed the autopilot-related capabilities. Except for lane changes, the car basically drives itself on the freeway and I agreed with all but a few of the decisions the car made through the ~1000 miles of anything from freeway cruising, construction traffic jams, other stop and go traffic in cities, etc. My wife drives a 2017 Highlander and it has some of the capabilities like lane assist and adaptive cruise but won't come to a complete stop in traffic and then restart like the eTron does, doesn't read the speed signs, etc. It makes driving so much more relaxing (especially when you turn the massage on!). My wishlist: First, store the driver's preference on adaptive cruise distance... First cruise after every restart of vehicle you have to reset from max to min distance (I understand why Audi would be tempted to set default to max but I actually think max setting is MORE dangerous than minimum because it causes drivers behind you to be aggressive attempting to pass on the right because they see a large gap in front of you). Second, do not automatically lower the cruise speed when the speed limit lowers rather provide the alert on the heads-up display as it already does and even add a chime. If not that because of liability concerns for Audi then at least reduce the pace of the speed adjustment- the pace at which the car slowed (maybe due to my regen setting at max) was too quick- not dangerous probably but overly disruptive to cars behind. Have the car coast to the lower speed instead of "brake". Hot tip on the cruise stalk: light click down or up lowers or raises cruise speed by 1mph. Heavy click down or up jumps the cruise speed up or down in 5mph increments. Very cool. Third, in variable rain, I kept having to turn the rear wiper on and off. Since the etron already has rain sensing front wipers, this is easily fixed: have a third setting on the rear wiper of AUTO. No need for anything more complicated than when the rear wiper is in AUTO, tie the frequency to something like 1/2 the front wiper frequency if front wipers are also in AUTO.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Wetz,

The etron will remember both the distance setting for the cruise, and you can shut off the speed limit matching (page 146 and page 137). Also, if you just tap the rear wiper once it will wipe every 30 seconds or so depending on the speed of the front wipers

Quick Reply: Dashcam footage of pre-sense in action