Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 RS 5 Grill Badge Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2018 RS 5 Grill Badge Removal

I cannot figure out how to remove the RS 5 badge from the grill (NOT the rings, but the RS 5 badge). There appears to be some kind of bar across the back side of the bracket but I don't want to force anything without knowing exactly how to remove it. I would like to be able to reinstall it if I want. Help!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25265904
Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah, it was a bit of a puzzle for me when I took mine off. Luckily I had the gloss black version on hand so I could see how the parts went together.

Basically there are 2 parts. There is the front badge part that basically has 2 pressure fit snaps that grab onto one of the hex segments of the front grill. Then there is another bracket that snaps over the snaps on the front part from behind the grill to keep them from popping off the grill.

I basically took a small flat head jeweler screwdriver and wrapped it with some painters tape and used it to pop one side of the rear bracket part off of one of the front snaps. I found the left side of the badge (R side) had the easiest access to one of the rear bracket snaps.

Once the rear bracket is off I initially tried to use the screw driver to push one of the snaps holding on to the grill of the front part open but wasn't getting a good angle at it. What worked for me was to grab the front badge as if you were going to break a pencil. Fingers holding the outer edges of the badge while using your thumbs to press the center of the badge inwards. This caused enough deflection of the snap arms for them to let go of the grill.

I hope this helps. I can post some pictures later of both parts and how they are connected if needed.

It should be noted that the RS3 badge linked to by MRA5SB is different in design to the RS5 one.

Last edited by heymoe; 06-25-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Is that the RS3 Badge? I assumed its the RS5 one since Martin drives a Nardo one.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Is that the RS3 Badge? I assumed its the RS5 one since Martin drives a Nardo one.
The link to their post links to a post at AZ on how to remove the RS3 badge which one of the pictures there looks to match up with how the snaps look in the picture in their post so I'm assuming it's an RS3 badge. The RS5 one definitely looks different than their photo.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
The link to their post links to a post at AZ on how to remove the RS3 badge which one of the pictures there looks to match up with how the snaps look in the picture in their post so I'm assuming it's an RS3 badge. The RS5 one definitely looks different than their photo.
It does? I was under the ***-umption they had the same design and so I posted. Hopefully didn't guide anyone in the wrong direction.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
It does? I was under the ***-umption they had the same design and so I posted. Hopefully didn't guide anyone in the wrong direction.
The basic concept as to how the badge (RS3 vs RS5) is held in place is similar but the position of the snaps are are different. I'll post a photo later tonight.
The following users liked this post:
Jimminez@Nemesis (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Amazing what a little knowledge can do....

Once I understood how the two pieces went together, it took me about 30 seconds (and a little help from some trim tools). No scratches, no damage to the grill or the badge! It's all good! Thank you guys! The only problem is that now I'm thinking I might want to go with black rings (although the chrome looks good on the black grill).
Old 06-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 18RSFive
Once I understood how the two pieces went together, it took me about 30 seconds (and a little help from some trim tools). No scratches, no damage to the grill or the badge! It's all good! Thank you guys! The only problem is that now I'm thinking I might want to go with black rings (although the chrome looks good on the black grill).
Glad to hear. Post a pic of the pieces to help others.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 18RSFive
Cool cool.. I like the black rings on the rear but personally think black rings up front is just too much black so I left mine chrome. I'm thinking I might try and Pasti-dip the front rings to gun metal or something along those lines where they are darker than chrome but still have a visual contrast on the black grill. .

Quick Reply: 2018 RS 5 Grill Badge Removal