Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Whiplash, courtesy of Audi Pre-Sense, and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiplash, courtesy of Audi Pre-Sense, and other issues

Just joined, first post. Hoping what I'm experiencing isn't unique and solutions are known. I love my 2018 SQ5, and short of an even bigger engine I wish for nothing more. However, it has a few quirks that are threatening to drive me into the arms of another.

1. I can't seem to permanently disable Pre-Sense. Any changes to its settings seem to be reset when the car is restarted.
2. The front driver and passenger windows, when partly down, will go fully down when the rocker switch is used to send them full up. It's like it ignores the direction of the request.
3. At night, while parked, the suspension spontaneously adjusts itself and the driver's side headlamp comes on for about 30 seconds. This scares the crap out of our security cameras.
4. The keyfob battery drains completely over the course of a week, even when used normally.

The only problem I've solved is #4, by putting the keyfob in an RFID bag when I'm done driving for the day. I read that the fob and car are very friendly, and if they can hear each other, they'll just chat constantly until one of them runs out of juice. Cute, but annoying.

Anyway - has anyone had these issues and found solutions? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

1. permanently disable Pre-Sense. => That's the way it is Sorry.
2. The front driver and passenger windows... => There are multiple TSBs (hardware or software) for this issue depending on your VIN.
Software update:TSB #: 2050362/3 - Updates the Driver Side Control Module (This is what they will be doing for mine)
Hardware Update: This replaces the window regulators. The kit they need is 80A-898-461. Not sure of the TSB
3. The suspension spontaneously adjusts ... => lol Mine is in the garage so I never notice if the headlamp coming on. Can't imagine what a solution would be for this. Air suspension will adjust.
4. The keyfob battery drains completely => The KeyFob doesn't ever recharge (perhaps it recovers when not in use) so it sounds like you have a weak battery and I would replace it. Great idea using the RFID bag to reduce the communication. A side benefit is that no one will ever be able to steal the car with a wireless box.
The following users liked this post:
hammergjh (02-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

are you leaving the fob in the car at night/when parked?

haven't experienced any of the rest so unfortunately can't offer any insight
Old 07-01-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@spindlewood Thanks for the info on #2, I'll reach out to the local Audi dealership and schedule an appointment. Are you certain there's no register or the like via OBDII that can address #1? If so - it'll just be part of my startup routine, I suppose. Regarding #4, everything's been good since I starting using the shielded bag, just was curious if other folks had seen this as well.

@SCarGuy I always take the fob inside with me, but the linear distance from where I set it down inside the house to where I park the car outside is only about 8m, well within range.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

try putting the key in a drawer etc? The key for mine is in the kitchen, car is either in the garage, downstairs about 25 feet, or, outside, about 20 feet. But I always toss the key in the top drawer when you first walk into the kitchen, I have yet to do a battery (16 months)
Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

#4. The key fob. Our 2015 had one key fob that needed batteries every three weeks. When we bought it ( CPO) that key was dead and needed batteries replaced before we left the dealership. We store our keys fairly near the basement garage but even when we swapped parking places and parked the Q7 further away in our stand alone carport that key would still drain its battery. Finally I kept records of every key battery replacement and showed them to my service advisor. They ordered me a new key. It doesn’t drain batteries prematurely. It went over 6 months on the same batteries same as our other key. I’ve read about the keys communicating with the car if it’s close by and my SA asked me about that when I first addressed this. Apparently though some keys are different from others.
Interesting about the RFID bag working. That would be a pain though.
Good luck on the other gremlins.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by pmidge
@spindlewood Thanks for the info on #2, I'll reach out to the local Audi dealership and schedule an appointment. Are you certain there's no register or the like via OBDII that can address #1? If so - it'll just be part of my startup routine, I suppose. Regarding #4, everything's been good since I starting using the shielded bag, just was curious if other folks had seen this as well.

@SCarGuy I always take the fob inside with me, but the linear distance from where I set it down inside the house to where I park the car outside is only about 8m, well within range.
There have been numerous discussions on pre sense false activation / braking. There is a setting in the MMI where you can disable it but it will revert back to "on" the next time you start the car - not that I've tried it.

Here are 2 conversations on the q5 forum. There are others on other forums as well.
Pre sense false activation
Is there a way to shut off auto braking
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this just a newer Q5 thing or across the board all models with the batteries going dead ?
Bought an 2014 A5 CPO back in 11/2016 and still on the same batteries in the fobs ?
Old 01-29-2022, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default HELP PLEASE?????

Originally Posted by spindlewood
1. permanently disable Pre-Sense. => That's the way it is Sorry.
2. The front driver and passenger windows... => There are multiple TSBs (hardware or software) for this issue depending on your VIN.
Software update:TSB #: 2050362/3 - Updates the Driver Side Control Module (This is what they will be doing for mine)
Hardware Update: This replaces the window regulators. The kit they need is 80A-898-461. Not sure of the TSB
3. The suspension spontaneously adjusts ... => lol Mine is in the garage so I never notice if the headlamp coming on. Can't imagine what a solution would be for this. Air suspension will adjust.
4. The keyfob battery drains completely => The KeyFob doesn't ever recharge (perhaps it recovers when not in use) so it sounds like you have a weak battery and I would replace it. Great idea using the RFID bag to reduce the communication. A side benefit is that no one will ever be able to steal the car with a wireless box.
I have an SQ5 2021 and its pre sense has gone off 3x since May. I have whiplash and I thought yet again I got hit in the rear end 3 days ago. PLEASE help me disengage this feature forever. Im in such neck and back pain. Im afraid of this car.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:12 AM
Mark P

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

2018 SQ5 here as well. I just had the front window regulators replaced under the TSB / recall mentioned above. So far so good. The new regulators are slower and they feel and sound much more stable. I've had some other little issues as well...

1. Brake pedal sometimes would be pressurized when I would go to start the car. Fixed by a recall. Replaces the brake line vacuum.

2. Touchpad started to misbehave. Sometimes didn't respond to presses on the menu or back buttons. Replaced under warranty.

3. Gateway control module recall (they just put a plastic bag over it).

4. Whistle coming from the driver's side door. Was fixed by the window regulator replacement.

Thankfully all minor stuff, although this could have all added up to a few thousand bucks if it weren't covered by Audi

Let's hope this isn't foreshadowing what's to come.

Mark

Quick Reply: Whiplash, courtesy of Audi Pre-Sense, and other issues