Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Brits negative review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Brits negative review

Terrible downer e-tron review of European version of Premium Plus, dated 6/28/19. They hate almost everything. They even stupidly call it a 'turd' because étron is the French word for turd. Almost every commenter agreed with the review and preferred the Tesla X. Go figure.

Last edited by suttoni; 07-08-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

It’s not that bad. That did say that the interior quality beats a model S hands down. Everyone bangs on about Tesla Autopilot like no other car has anything like it but in this review they fail to mention the Adaptive Cruise Assist.

i think Audi are doing themselves a disservice with the e-Tron. They allowed themselves to be attacked on the mileage knowing full well it would be compared to a Tesla and no one seems to know why it’s got a 95kw battery yet Audi have locked it down to 83kw. It’s the same as the assisted driving, Audi have locked it down.

It’s a shame as the quality of the car is true Audi and what Audi owners expect but when everyone talks Tesla it’s mileage and Autopilot. 2 things that Audi have screwed up on to have made this car a Tesla killer whether through being too restrictive or just bad marketing.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

I think people fail to consider what Audi is trying to accomplish with the e-tron. It's goal is to get the Audi drivers a transition to electric. The goal was to build an Audi that is electric. That means a high end luxury car. Perhaps for some it is too much luxury car, not enough "EV". The e-tron is the heaviest of its class with a lot of bells and whistles, all electric powered. All things considered, it's amazing it can get over 200 miles/full charge. It's reasonable to compare it to the Model X, but the Model X was designed with a different philosophy. Yes, it's expensive, but it's reasonably priced in its category. Just enjoy your e-trons.
The following 6 users liked this post by DMcDnald:
bpp (08-30-2019), e-tronDriver (07-09-2019), kickerfrau (09-01-2019), Raj Rao (10-22-2019), SoundsoftheSuburbs (07-23-2019), theo1000 (08-31-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
I think people fail to consider what Audi is trying to accomplish with the e-tron. It's goal is to get the Audi drivers a transition to electric. The goal was to build an Audi that is electric. That means a high end luxury car. Perhaps for some it is too much luxury car, not enough "EV". The e-tron is the heaviest of its class with a lot of bells and whistles, all electric powered. All things considered, it's amazing it can get over 200 miles/full charge. It's reasonable to compare it to the Model X, but the Model X was designed with a different philosophy. Yes, it's expensive, but it's reasonably priced in its category. Just enjoy your e-trons.
I agree with this in terms of the comparison to make for the etron based on Audi’s goal for the vehicle is really the Q8 not the model X. They are trying to get Audi/nonAudi (me) ICE drivers who have not gone Tesla to switch to an EV so by definition the formula should be different.

After my first month with it I’m absolutely thrilled with the etron. It’s an amazing vehicle in so many respects and I’m happy with what I paid vs the value. The whole range topic doesn’t come into play of course for most of us until you take road trips. We’ve taken two now- one 5 hours one way and another 7 hours. I drove 75-80 the whole way and we started to set our expectations we’d need roughly 30 mins Electrify America (150 kW) charge time for every 3 hours of driving. Once you make the mindset shift the break is relaxing and feels healthy. We used to eat in the car, now we eat during the break. Between that and the ability to walk around, It feels more civilized.

Combine that with the whisper quiet interior, turning on adaptive cruise and the massage seat and I can’t describe how much more refreshed I feel upon arrival than I used to!
The following 6 users liked this post by wetz001:
bpp (08-30-2019), e-tronDriver (07-09-2019), gabibistrita (07-09-2019), kickerfrau (09-01-2019), Raj Rao (10-22-2019), theo1000 (08-31-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hrc1079
It’s not that bad. That did say that the interior quality beats a model S hands down. Everyone bangs on about Tesla Autopilot like no other car has anything like it but in this review they fail to mention the Adaptive Cruise Assist.

i think Audi are doing themselves a disservice with the e-Tron. They allowed themselves to be attacked on the mileage knowing full well it would be compared to a Tesla and no one seems to know why it’s got a 95kw battery yet Audi have locked it down to 83kw. It’s the same as the assisted driving, Audi have locked it down.

It’s a shame as the quality of the car is true Audi and what Audi owners expect but when everyone talks Tesla it’s mileage and Autopilot. 2 things that Audi have screwed up on to have made this car a Tesla killer whether through being too restrictive or just bad marketing.
Tesla pushed the battery potential and ignored safety issues in exchange of more mileage. Owners see big mileage degradation with Tesla's recent OTA because it finally tried to limit the battery usage for safety reasons. Autopilot is also an irresponsible exaggeration that caused many accidents by ignorant drivers. So I would say being conservative on battery and self-driving are advantages instead of disadvantages.
The following 2 users liked this post by dodoei:
gabibistrita (07-09-2019), kickerfrau (09-01-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dodoei
Tesla pushed the battery potential and ignored safety issues in exchange of more mileage. Owners see big mileage degradation with Tesla's recent OTA because it finally tried to limit the battery usage for safety reasons. Autopilot is also an irresponsible exaggeration that caused many accidents by ignorant drivers. So I would say being conservative on battery and self-driving are advantages instead of disadvantages.
I completely agree. On another thread there are complaints about how when in adaptive cruise mode the driver needs to initiate a restart-from-stop if over 3 seconds. To your point these types of minor required interactions on the part of the driver maintain involvement and attention and are thus safer than full autopilot. I like the conservative approach that Audi has taken. As an overall system we are years away from being able to safely rely on full autopilot.
The following users liked this post:
kickerfrau (09-01-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni
Terrible downer e-tron review of European version of Premium Plus, dated 6/28/19. They hate almost everything. They even stupidly call it a 'turd' because étron is the French word for turd. Almost every commenter agreed with the review and preferred the Tesla X. Go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8z17ZIJhE
Them worthess Germans have even failed to account for the use case where the Yorkshire nobleman, while wearing a fine/expensive suit, would attempt to open the hood of a car that had not been washed in a month or two (or too).
The following 2 users liked this post by Tronification:
A4rooster (07-09-2019), LavaGrau_A3 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Here's another sophomoric clown giggling over the name:

Old 07-09-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dodoei
I agree with you 100%. Tesla is using all the people driving its cars as beta testers and if they cared about safety then they would've restricted autopilot after the first death but instead they chose to blame the human. Audi is taking the conservative approach BUT as I said in the other thread, I do hope as these systems become more accepted that they progressively loosen the reigns a little. For example, increasing the time required to touch the wheel to 30 seconds, etc.

Tesla is like teflon, they get away with building poor quality cars that catch on fire and everyone praises the autopilot system to a point where everyone thinks it's a full on self-driving system when it's not! If Audi released a car with 300 miles of range but cut back on the interior quality then they'd be getting slammed for making a car that's not to Audi standards. I like my e-Tron but will be happier when EA installs more fast chargers in the bay area.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8z17ZIJhE
For what it's worth, I was French-educated from kindergarten through High school. I speak french with my family. NEVER have I ever heard the word etron until this controversy popped up on line. I did some research and evidently, it does mean "turd" but its usage seems to have peaked in the mid-1800s!

Quick Reply: Brits negative review