Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What options to put touchscreen into '14 Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What options to put touchscreen into '14 Q5?

Wife wants touchscreen and easy interface to her podcasts. ideally also have google maps. We use Android phones (Samsung S7/S8). I see a variety of things on Aliexpress and ebay and recently posted here rsnav.com but the offerings are a big overwhelming.

Do people here have any of these? Which ones work? What to stay away from? etc?

Right now, we have Bluetooth enabled on Android phone just for phone conversations. That works fine to interrupt the radio/CD to talk on phone. We use Google Maps on phone and let phone speaker announce directions. Now she's starting to listen to podcasts (which she downloads at home) and has been listening to them via her phone speaker. It's a pain to go into the Bluetooth settings, switch it over to Media also, so the podcast audio will go to the car, then turn on Source = BT. Then have to remember to reverse it all, otherwise other media sounds (google maps directions, text message alerts, etc) will go to the dead-end BT input if she's listening to radio/cd instead.

I've tried using Waze instead and having that announce to phone speaker (an option google maps doesn't seem to have) even when BT connected, then enabling the speech direction in Waze ("ok waze"), however then I find I can't instruct Google to do anything while the Waze is in control of the microphone.

I'm hoping that these other systems (I don't know what "Android Auto" offers) will have better overall integration and not be a simple bluetooth connection that stays active, yet doesn't produce audio when a non-BT source is selected.

In addition to touchscreen, I'd want the existing MMI and steering wheel controls to work as well as the backup camera.

Are options unique to Android vs Apple? We have Android, but I'd want the system to be desirable when selling to Apple owners as well.

If this isn't solvable, then I foresee we'll be car-shopping soon...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mark

Some images to go along with this post:

Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey, I've been using a CarNaviPlayer unit on my 2009 2.0T Q5, car came originally with a Symphony radio (no MMI, No Nav, no ADP), just Bluetooth Audio and that's all. I use this unit mostly for the Apple Car Play integration, Waze, Spotify, TuneIn Radio and Podcasts. It also came with a backup camera, GPS and Dashcam.

The unit itself is a basic 7" Android 4 "tablet" with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of storage, subpar hardware and software if you want to use it as an Android "tablet", it's slow and not that responsive (I heard RSNav units are waaaay better), it boots in about 20s and the native UI is not the greatest. However, when I turn CarPlay on (I'm using a wireless dongle these days), the experience changes dramatically, it turns into the perfect iPhone companion, I can use all the Apps I like + Siri voice commands, it's responsive and very well integrated with the car functions, Bluetooth calls mute the unit, Reverse lowers volume and so on. Bottom line, I'm satisfied, but I should have gone with RSNav as it offers a better native Android hardware/software bundle.

Even though this is mostly a CarPlay review (iPhone Max), I guess that you should expect similar results with Android Auto as long as you are using good spec'ed phone.

PS: Included backup camera is pretty good as well, it's fast to engage and fully integrated with the steering wheel (guide lines move while I turn the wheels accordingly) and dash cam works fine too, the other day I witnessed an accident and played good samaritan with the police by providing footage of the collision, there were some serious injuries involved (motorbike rear ended a car).
The following users liked this post:
Built4Sin (07-18-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Internal screens are the safest. I have decided after my 10.25 android order cancellation to purchase either an 8.8" or a 7" screen android multimedia system

Could not find an 8.8 RHD one so placed a second order tor a 7" screen android system similar to uncleiggy 1gb ram 16gb rom but mine unlike uncleiggys is a one unit. It is a HD touch screen with 2 usb connectors supports miracast a2dp stereo streaming back up camera hands free telephone has google play however only supports android 4.4. I believe I can make the 7" from LHD fit to my RHD with the original audi 7" RHD display trim and few tweaks so that was abother reason I chose the 7 " screen.

The best 7" android unit is sold by RSNav however price wise is much more expensive but comes with android 7, 3 ram, 32gb rom and better user interface

8.8" screen is another option worth examining. 10.25 is an oversized screen.

However newest RSNav under testing will be availabe soon comes with android 9 and other hardware upgrades. I Chose to buy a low cost android system so I can upgrade in the future.

Hope this time I get more lucky and order is dispatched.

Last edited by apoelistas; 07-15-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

This stuff is alluring but recent experience with touchscreens - Dodge Ram UConnect and Toyota - whatever.I quickly came to realize that the Germans got it right.Once you're comfortable with MMI control **** you quickly realize how distracting a touch screen is.I was forever taking my eyes off the road even to change a radio station - inferior !
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Ok thanks, RSNav it is then! 😀

How do I know which stereo I have? There are 4 options listed though I thought there were only 2 options in 2014 Q5. I have nav and b&o.

Seems like 8.8" is the most desirable choice to still have unit look factory? So that would seem to be this one:

https://rsnav.com/products/8-8-inch-...=8320727646311

Right now it says $675 -> $550 sale. Is that actually a short term sale, or is that really the everyday price?

I see a camera accessory. Do I need this if I already had backup camera? Or is this only for people who don't already have camera? I assume if they could integrate everything else with the car, camera should be easy. So guessing this is only if you don't have camera already?

I've never used my Android integrated into a car (Android Auto, I guess). I see there is an dongle sold separately. Seems I need that to work with my Android phone? What added benefits does that provide? If I don't have it, I would guess Google Maps still works since the car's unit will have that app and a gps (why can't RSNav reuse the original GPS antenna and need to add additional antenna?). Also I assume BT calls will work without dongle. So what does dongle add? Where does it plug in? The one photo I saw had it coming out of a gap in the dash. I hope there are better hidden places for it? My phone is in a windshield mount on the LEFT side of the steering wheel.

What else should I be aware of?

Thanks!
Mark

Old 07-15-2019, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
This stuff is alluring but recent experience with touchscreens - Dodge Ram UConnect and Toyota - whatever.I quickly came to realize that the Germans got it right.Once you're comfortable with MMI control **** you quickly realize how distracting a touch screen is.I was forever taking my eyes off the road even to change a radio station - inferior !
For radio concert Q5s I see this as a screen resolution upgrade first ( HD) then all features missing from mmi can be added. I am sure the existing controls can still be used. This makes the radio concert rock adding high level satisfaction to the user with minimal upgrade cost.

For radio concert there is a 10.25" multimedia screen with an additional center console control mouse rotary **** /Nav/back for mmi like experience but from different manufacturer. 4GB/64Gb option available. That is the oversize option.

Will try to find the link.
10.25" multimedia for radio Concert 64gb 4gb ram

FOR THE OP
For mmi users who already have a better 7 touch screen 800x480 on their Q5 there is an interface box you can add for android auto backup camera bluetooth and apple carplay support. Also google maps available.
RSNav has it. (Dont rush to buy but think about it). Its specs are not that high as a negative point.

For radio concert Q5s I dont advise the above interface upgrade for 2 reasons. our screen is not high resolution and has no touch screen.

Last edited by apoelistas; 07-16-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks, this photo is the radio I have now.

This is the PNY package which as both the words "high" and "plus" in it, so guessing must be one of the bottom two listed below?

Which of these 4 options matches that?

Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Select
1. car
2. set up
3. settings

on mmi console. Select version information on screen.

If it is HNav plus select the Plus otherwise the one above it.

The procedure above was for the earlier model, console had more buttons. Search your version info. Steps should be similar.

Last edited by apoelistas; 07-16-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Select
1. car
2. set up
3. settings

on mmi console. Select version information on screen.

If it is HNav plus select the Plus otherwise the one above it.

The procedure above was for the earlier model, console had more buttons. Search your version info. Steps should be similar.
Ok thanks will give that a try. I assumed this was straight forward as I thought a 2014 Q5 only had two options:
1.) a base choice or
2.) The "PNY - Audi MMI Navigation Plus Package (with MMI 'high' control panel)"

I did notice on the apparent in-progress rsnav.com search feature, there are only 2 options there, so maybe those are the only ones really available:

Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes correct. One option for mmi 3g so ir is simple to order

Quick Reply: What options to put touchscreen into '14 Q5?