A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirmed - LWB S8 For U.S. - Order Guide Released...

Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Confirmed - LWB S8 For U.S. - Order Guide Released...

From the 7/10/19 Order Guide:

2020 S8
4N85SA
4.0 TFSI, V8
LWB
quattro® Tiptronic®

INCLUDES:
20-inch 5-Double-spoke-wheels with 265/40 summer tires
Auto-dimming & power-folding, heated exterior mirrors
4-spoke multifunction steering wheel with shift paddles, heated
Auto-dimming interior mirror with compass
4-zone climate control
Bang & Olufsen® 3D Premium Sound System (17 speakers / 730 watts)
Predictive active suspension
Carbon Vector Upper inlays and gear shift lever
Alarm system with interior motion & tilt sensors
Contour/Ambient LED interior lighting package - multicolor
Alcantara headliner, light
Electrically adjustable tilt/telescoping steering column
Aluminum optic buttons
Extended Leather package (door armrests & pulls, center console & airbag cap)
Alu-optic exterior mirror housings
Garage door opener (HomeLink®)
Audi advanced key with hands-free power trunk lid
Headlight washer system
Audi connect CARE, PRIME & PLUS (limited time subscription)
Lane departure warning
Audi dynamic all-wheel steering
Matrix-design LED headlights w/high beam assist, LED DRL & tail lights, dynamic rear indicators
Audi head-up display
Power door closers
Audi MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch response
Power panoramic sunroof
Audi parking system plus w/ Top view camera system and virtual 360 view
quattro sport rear differential
Audi phone box w/ wireless charging and signal booster
Space-saving spare tire
Audi pre sense basic and front
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Audi smartphone interface (wired Android Auto & wireless Apple CarPlay)
Valcona leather front Comfort Sport seats with diamond stitch, heated, 22-way power with driver & front passenger 4-way power lumbar, driver memory and ventilation and massage functions
Audi virtual cockpit

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT/PACKAGES:
98M - S8 Executive package
Audi side assist w/ exit warning & rear cross-traffic assist
HD Matrix-design LED Headlights with laser
Audi pre sense rear
OLED taillights with animation
PAW - Cold Weather package (req. 98M) (n/a with PE6)
Adaptive windshield wiping system
Heated rear outboard seats
Heated front surfaces (door armrests & center armrest)
PCN - Driver Assistance Package (req. 98M)
Audi adaptive cruise assist w/Traffic Jam assist, Turn assist, & Predictive Efficiency assist
Intersection assist
Audi active lane assist with Emergency assist
Traffic sign recognition
PE6 - Rear Seat Comfort package - 5 passenger (n/a with PE2)
Heated rear surfaces (door armrests & center armrest)
Rear outboard seat heating, ventilation and massage
Matrix LED reading lights, rear
Rear seat smart remote control
Power rear outboard seats w/ lumbar & memory functions
PE2 - Executive Rear Seat Comfort package - 4 passenger (req. PCD) (n/a with PE6)
Full-length rear center console in leather, w/ folding tables
Reduced functionality of front passenger seat
Heated rear surfaces (door armrests & center armrest)
Rear seat smart remote control
Power rear outboard seats w/ lumbar, memory functions, and wedge-style footrests
Matrix LED reading lights, rear
Rear outboard seat ventilation and massage
Safety package plus (adds: airbag between rear seats, illuminated rear seat belt buckles)
Rear passenger side relaxation seat (adds: electrically extending footrest from the back of the front passenger seat, w/ heat & massage functions)
PCD - Rear Seat Connectivity package (req. PE6 or PE2)
Audi tablet system, dual
Power outlet, rear center console
DVD changer (rear seat) and DVD player (glovebox)
USB Audi music interface , rear
PPS - Black Optic package
20-inch Audi Sport 5-V-spoke-Star-design wheels, Black w/ all-season tires
Black optic exterior
98D - Piano Black interior package (upper inlays, roof grab handles, shift ****)
7HD - Full leather package
9R1 - Night vision assistant
F11 - 21-inch 5-Double-Spoke-S-design wheels, with 265/35 summer tires (n/a with PPS)
6NS - Black Alcantara headliner
PC2 - Red brake calipers, steel (n/a with PC5)
8RF - Bang & Olufsen 3D Advanced Sound System (23 speakers / 1,920 watts)
PC5 - Ceramic brakes, gray (n/a with PC2)

Apologies for the (below) lousy image of the Order Guide page, but I'm vacationing and don't have access to a printer/scanner.

The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you for this.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by robertsalem
thank you for this.
You’re very welcome. Always happy to share with the AW community.
angrypengu (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do they offer the dual pane acoustic glass on the S8? Thanks for posting the order guide.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Go123
Do they offer the dual pane acoustic glass on the S8? Thanks for posting the order guide.
Currently not offered—they want you to hear that wonderful exhaust note ��
But seriously, there could be revisions/additions to the order guide on the horizon, which often happens. However, this option wasn’t offered on the 2018 S8 Plus (last iteration of the S8 in the US), so perhaps the acoustic glass won’t be an option this time around either.

OOPS--CORRECTION:
My bad--I misread the 2018 OG. The S8 Plus did have the dual pane glass as an included item. Was standard on the A8 3.0T and 4.0T Sport, where the S8 included those two models' standard items.

Very sorry for confusing things on that. Pretty sure it will still be available on the S8, but not sure if it will be a standard feature, or as with the A8 models, be part of the Executive package.

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-17-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
But seriously, there could be revisions/additions to the order guide on the horizon, which often happens. However, this option wasn’t offered on the 2018 S8 Plus (last iteration of the S8 in the US), so perhaps the acoustic glass won’t be an option this time around either.
That absolutely blows my mind.

Acoustic glass has one primary purpose which is to block out wind noise which means it is only effective within a certain band of frequency.

It would do nothing to block out exhaust noise. To think that it's not even an option on the S8 in the US befuddles me!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
That absolutely blows my mind.
Acoustic glass has one primary purpose which is to block out wind noise which means it is only effective within a certain band of frequency.
It would do nothing to block out exhaust noise. To think that it's not even an option on the S8 in the US befuddles me!
I think they left it off the standard equipment list accidentally, and would likely be included in a subsequent revision. I say this now because I went back and looked at the S8 info in the 2015 and 2016 order guides I have, and the dual pane glass is shown as being included. Didn’t see it listed in the 2018 guide, but perhaps they just didn’t show it. Anyone interested in an S8 should inquire further with their dealer who can check this with their Audi zone rep.

However, I’ve had the dual pane glass on all my A8s, and I do feel that it does reduce all forms of exterior sound/noise beyond just wind noise. At least that’s my experience with 4 A8s.
angrypengu (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Go123

OOPS--CORRECTION:
My bad--I misread the 2018 OG. The S8 Plus did have the dual pane glass as an included item. Was standard on the A8 3.0T and 4.0T Sport, where the S8 included those two models' standard items.

Very sorry for confusing things on that. Pretty sure it will still be available on the S8, but not sure if it will be a standard feature, or as with the A8 models, be part of the Executive package.
angrypengu (07-17-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts

Some new news about predictive suspension.

Article 1: https://www.motor1.com/news/360532/a...ir-suspension/

Unfortunately, as happens too often now with journalists, we now know as per Audi engineers that this line is not 100% correct:

"Switch on “Comfort Plus” from the Audi Drive select and the air suspension will iron out all road imperfections to enable a silky-smooth ride worthy of a luxobarge."

Well, no. The predictive suspension does not do anything to reduce road imperfections other than the fact that it can help glide over things like speed bumps. Otherwise, the system is passive. I suspect Comfort Plus completely disables the active suspension components leaving the system entirely in passive mode.

This was the one piece of news which made me jump:

"the optional predictive active suspension will cost €5,450 (German pricing)."

Holy moly!

-------------------
Article 2: https://www.automotiveworld.com/news...lagship-model/

This article adds some further information to how the predictive suspension improves comfort for non-sporty driving positions. Some if it flies in the face of what the Audi engineers were recorded on camera saying, but some of the info was new to me and seems plausible!

OTOH: this is today's gold nugget:

"An extremely sharp impulse – as encountered on the racetrack, for example – will produce a very short but high energy demand of potentially up to 6 kilowatts." (bolding is mine)

Well, this is one of the reasons I suspect the MHEV battery has the VH3 cooling pack. The BSG, at its peak, produces 6kW of energy. This means the predictive suspension components can increase the demand from the MHEV battery by exactly 100%. This is before the electric compressor/turbo!

It feels nice to start the day by finding yet another smoking gun

For reference, this is from the SSP about the BSG:

(red box is mine, obviously)

Is there a possibility that the BSG will not produce torque if the predictive suspension is commanding 6kW? I highly doubt it. If the predictive suspension is commanding 6kW, the car is probably on a racetrack and the S8 is being driven full tilt. Given the low # of S8s being produced, the power loss from the BSG disengaging, the fact that the BSG would have to be remapped to not send torque if the predictive suspension is on full tilt, and the fact that the S8 has the VH3 system (most likely), that means on a balance of probabilities 12kW is being commanded by the 48V battery which causes a immense production of heat, hence active cooling.

Unfortunately article 2 got this line wrong, too: "Depending on the driving situation, up to 3 kilowatts can also be fed into the 48-volt battery." - as per above, it can generate up to 14kW which adds further credence to my theory in the paragraph above this. Since it is confirmed to be able to feed 14kW into the mild hybrid battery, it would only make sense that it can command 12kW (6 + 6) as per my hypothesis above. Now potentially the article is referencing that the predictive suspension itself can recover up to 3kW depending on driving situation, but this has not only never been mentioned by Audi, but Audi has mentioned that this is a future source of energy recuperation that has not yet been developed.

All the above being said, I wish journalists could review the real life differences between the non predictive (standard) and predictive suspension settings. When the D5 was launched, journalists were not allowed to test the system on open roads, AND the D5 was being driven by Audi employees when journalists had a feel. Even with these two caveats, journalists reported a more fidgety feel with the predictive suspension.

-Next up, time to find the electric compressor/eTurbo's demand on the MHEV system!

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-18-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:56 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I'm still sticking with the LWB spells the death of the S8 in the US anyway.

As for the predictive suspension I thought smoothing out road imperfections was it's primary function...not speed bumps or sport mode only. I'm a little confused by your statement.
"Well, no. The predictive suspension does not do anything to reduce road imperfections other than the fact that it can help glide over things like speed bumps. Otherwise, the system is passive. I suspect Comfort Plus completely disables the active suspension components leaving the system entirely in passive mode."
I'm thinking in particular of this video:
If it cannot do that for $6000 then it is no good.

Good find on the battery stuff once again...yeah unless they revise/update the battery they are definitely going to need that active cooling...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confirmed - LWB S8 For U.S. - Order Guide Released...