Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

to rip CD to Audi jukebox or use memory card

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to rip CD to Audi jukebox or use memory card

Greetings everyone. New to the community and apologies if this posts twice since I didn't see this show up under this forum when I first tried to post this. I am awaiting delivery of my 2019 A5 SB which should be in a week to 10 days. Thank you for all the posts you all provide that allowed me to feel great about my pending car. I am still stuck in the "old school" mode where none of my music is on my phone. This car will be my technology awakening in more ways than one. So, I need to decide how to get as much of my music library in thecar but with the priority on being to keep the sound quality as high as possible. Towards that end, will the playback of music sound better if I allow the car to upload/rip a CD one by one or can I achieve the same playback quality by using a memory card which will involve investing the time to transfer my music library to my computer and then drag the music onto a card and load the card into the new car? From what I've read on these forums, it takes about 6 minutes per CD to rip into the Audi Jukebox so I suspect I would be able to save a significant amount of time if I did this at home on my computer. But like I said, my priority is on preserving the quality of the playback so if it means being patient while I get my CDs ripped into the jukebox one by one, so be it.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by decA5
Greetings everyone. New to the community and apologies if this posts twice since I didn't see this show up under this forum when I first tried to post this. I am awaiting delivery of my 2019 A5 SB which should be in a week to 10 days. Thank you for all the posts you all provide that allowed me to feel great about my pending car. I am still stuck in the "old school" mode where none of my music is on my phone. This car will be my technology awakening in more ways than one. So, I need to decide how to get as much of my music library in thecar but with the priority on being to keep the sound quality as high as possible. Towards that end, will the playback of music sound better if I allow the car to upload/rip a CD one by one or can I achieve the same playback quality by using a memory card which will involve investing the time to transfer my music library to my computer and then drag the music onto a card and load the card into the new car? From what I've read on these forums, it takes about 6 minutes per CD to rip into the Audi Jukebox so I suspect I would be able to save a significant amount of time if I did this at home on my computer. But like I said, my priority is on preserving the quality of the playback so if it means being patient while I get my CDs ripped into the jukebox one by one, so be it.
You can achieve CD quality sound with FLAC encoding on SD card. I've been through this and documented the process I used here and I'm extremely happy with.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25049360

It's more convenient than uploading to jukebox, much more portable, and FLAC is lossless.
The following 2 users liked this post by MH62:
CtheW0rld (07-17-2019), Nikon1 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Personal Choice: What I (and a number of members) Do is to rip music in a high quality, lossless format and write those files to SD cards. I currently have (2) 512 GB cards in the SD slots — one for stereo and the other for 5.1 surround sound ripped from DVD & BlueRay discs. Overkill — maybe but it really makes the B&O system sound great. And, it’s much quicker than ripping to the internal storage in the B&O without the storage limitation that the B&O HDD offers.

YMMV!

Welcome to AudiWorld. I hope you e joy your car as much as most of the other members do.

— John
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Same as Nikon1. I have mine on micro SD cards. I use Audacity to rip the CDs. It is an open source software. Just make sure you amplify all CDs and check the No clipping box.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I greatly appreciate the replies. This will be very helpful. Thank you all.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Buy a 128GB SD card and start ripping your music now so that it's all done when the car arrives.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm already on Amazon checking out my options of memory cards. I found an article that says the average CD in lossless form ranges from 200-450mb. On a 64 GB SD card, that should be at least 142 CDs. Is this reliable information?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

I'm already on Amazon checking out my options of memory cards. I found an article that says the average CD in lossless form ranges from 200-450mb. On a 64 GB SD card, that should be at least 142 CDs. Is this reliable information?
Yes, the storage requirement you mention is correct. One thing to keep in mind when shopping for a card is this note from the manual:

"Only use one-piece SD cards. If adapter cards (SD cards with more than one piece) are used, the card could fall out of the adapter when driving because of vibrations. Individual pieces could then become stuck in the drive and impair the functionality."

In other words, avoid the micro sized card which requires an adapter as the two pieces could become separated due to car vibrations. I don't know how it could get stuck as they claim but since you're buying new, get a full size one to be safe.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

I started out with (2) 256 cards but wanted more room for future growth so I purchased the 512 GB cards at a reasonable price.

YMMV

— John
Old 07-17-2019, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The internal Jukebox in the car is only about 10GB I think, so it's honestly kinda useless...

Quick Reply: to rip CD to Audi jukebox or use memory card