Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 CPO Q7 Prestige - Seeking Purchasing / Negotiating Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2019 CPO Q7 Prestige - Seeking Purchasing / Negotiating Advice

Longtime lurker, first time poster here. As background info, I’m located in Denver, Colorado and this would be my first Audi. I’m hoping to get any advice on purchasing/negotiating terms on the following vehicle, which the Audi Dealer currently has listed for $74,649. I would be financing the vehicle through my credit union (PenFed), and would also look to pick-up an extended warranty through a 3rd party – likely Troy Dietrich from what I’ve read here on the forums.
  • 2019 CPO Q7 Prestige w/ 6,000 miles
  • MSRP: $90,125
  • Prior to CPO, this was a dealer loaner vehicle
  • Ext. Color: Glacier White Metallic
  • Int. Color Black
  • Luxury Package
  • Adaptive Chassis Package
  • Bang & Olufsen
  • Black Optics
  • 22” Wheels
  • Convenience Pkg
  • Driver Assistance Pkg
  • Towing Pklg
  • Warm Weather Pkg
  • Cold Weather Pkg
Note: Carfax shows a clean report, and interestingly the price history reflects the vehicle was originally listed $5k lower on 7/5, then raised to the current figure on 7/14.

Questions:
  • Is now a good time to buy in terms of timing (Q2 just ended and starting Q3, and keeping in mind that the 2020 refresh isn’t too far around the corner)?
  • Current list price reflects a 17.2% discount from MSRP. Is there a higher percentage forum members target when negotiating on CPO’s? I’ve read of some members negotiating in excess of 25% off MSRP on CPO’s, and was uncertain how much credence to give and also if that figure is even realistic on a loaded model that is harder to find. (I’m willing to stay patient, but also cognizant of the fact that inventory will begin to thin the more I wait, and this particular model has everything I want.)
  • I am scheduled for an extended test drive this weekend, and assuming my experience driving the vehicle is favorable, my thought is to begin negotiating terms with the dealer and focus on the ‘out the door’ number of $66k. Does that sound like a reasonable starting point?
  • Any other tips/recommendations?

Thanks in advance. Any and all help is very much appreciated. I hope to join this great community of Audi owners, if not soon then eventually.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

25% off MSRP seems like a crazy discount, but I don't have experience with CPOs. That said, I got 13.5% off of a brand new car similar to yours (except for the B&O and cold weather package). My exterior/interior color was harder to find though, so I didn't think I was going to get like a 15-20% discount.

One thing I would recommend is to not necessarily blow it out on price (they have a minimum that they are probably willing to accept, which is probably not as low as you would like), but have things thrown in that don't hit their price point in an explicit way. For example:
  • I got several accessories and the roof rack thrown in
  • You could negotiate included maintenance for a few years after the first
  • You could "claim" that there are some things in the car that you don't need (this is what I did and they conceded and for the most part just reduced the price by the MSRP of those items I didn't want)
My sense is that they won't accept a 25% discount, let alone the 26.8% that you're looking to get (66000/90125). Start with something a little bit more realistic like $72,000 (this would be ~20% off).
Old 07-18-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a data point I just bought that car last week (mine was optioned just a tick higher). It was brand new with 30 miles on it and I paid $78K.

J

Originally Posted by wukaizen
Longtime lurker, first time poster here. As background info, I’m located in Denver, Colorado and this would be my first Audi. I’m hoping to get any advice on purchasing/negotiating terms on the following vehicle, which the Audi Dealer currently has listed for $74,649. I would be financing the vehicle through my credit union (PenFed), and would also look to pick-up an extended warranty through a 3rd party – likely Troy Dietrich from what I’ve read here on the forums.
  • 2019 CPO Q7 Prestige w/ 6,000 miles
  • MSRP: $90,125
  • Prior to CPO, this was a dealer loaner vehicle
  • Ext. Color: Glacier White Metallic
  • Int. Color Black
  • Luxury Package
  • Adaptive Chassis Package
  • Bang & Olufsen
  • Black Optics
  • 22” Wheels
  • Convenience Pkg
  • Driver Assistance Pkg
  • Towing Pklg
  • Warm Weather Pkg
  • Cold Weather Pkg
Note: Carfax shows a clean report, and interestingly the price history reflects the vehicle was originally listed $5k lower on 7/5, then raised to the current figure on 7/14.

Questions:
  • Is now a good time to buy in terms of timing (Q2 just ended and starting Q3, and keeping in mind that the 2020 refresh isn’t too far around the corner)?
  • Current list price reflects a 17.2% discount from MSRP. Is there a higher percentage forum members target when negotiating on CPO’s? I’ve read of some members negotiating in excess of 25% off MSRP on CPO’s, and was uncertain how much credence to give and also if that figure is even realistic on a loaded model that is harder to find. (I’m willing to stay patient, but also cognizant of the fact that inventory will begin to thin the more I wait, and this particular model has everything I want.)
  • I am scheduled for an extended test drive this weekend, and assuming my experience driving the vehicle is favorable, my thought is to begin negotiating terms with the dealer and focus on the ‘out the door’ number of $66k. Does that sound like a reasonable starting point?
  • Any other tips/recommendations?

Thanks in advance. Any and all help is very much appreciated. I hope to join this great community of Audi owners, if not soon then eventually.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks @Trancemission and @pilotspike! I appreciate the prompt response, and of course your input and recommendations. Sounds like you both got great deals on your new loaded Q7s, it's members like you who I'm hoping to learn from.

$72k is the high end of what I'm willing to pay for this vehicle, so my expectation was I'd end up somewhere in between ($68-69k) after some negotiations. I had short-listed the Q7 and the XC90, and after test-driving both I've decided on the Q7. Of course I won't be revealing that to the salesman; I'll have to be tactful in my negotiations as I'm sure these Audi guys will game me if I show how much I'm already leaning towards the Q7 (and this vehicle in particular).
Old 07-18-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a CPO 2017 Q7- Prestige with most of the options except adaptive suspension/luxury seats and B&O stereo. Otherwise it has most everything else. Night vision assist, cold and warm weather package,towing, etc. The MSRP was $74,000K new. The car had 3800 miles on it and in perfect condition. I ended up getting it for $63000. About 15% off MSRP. Which I think was a pretty good deal since I'm in an area with only 1 Audi dealer and the next dealer is about 3 hours away. I ended up getting more knocked off the price since the CPO came with an extended warranty which I declined since the car still had plenty left on the manufacturer's warranty. The reality is I've had many new cars and I've never needed to utilize an extended warranty. That may be something you can negotiate off the purchase price.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mlt-Bend
I bought a CPO 2017 Q7- Prestige with most of the options except adaptive suspension/luxury seats and B&O stereo. Otherwise it has most everything else. Night vision assist, cold and warm weather package,towing, etc. The MSRP was $74,000K new. The car had 3800 miles on it and in perfect condition. I ended up getting it for $63000. About 15% off MSRP. Which I think was a pretty good deal since I'm in an area with only 1 Audi dealer and the next dealer is about 3 hours away. I ended up getting more knocked off the price since the CPO came with an extended warranty which I declined since the car still had plenty left on the manufacturer's warranty. The reality is I've had many new cars and I've never needed to utilize an extended warranty. That may be something you can negotiate off the purchase price.
Thanks! This is very helpful information. Being my first Audi, I’ll probably opt to keep the additional coverage, but good to know some money can be saved there as well. The more info/knowledge I have the better prepared I’ll be when it comes time to discuss terms.
The following users liked this post:
mlt-Bend (07-22-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked at a 2019 with a $89K MSRP that was the dealer owners vehicle that was asking $72K. They sold it in a week.

I just bought a 2019 prestige with air, black optic, no B&O or massage seats and a $79K sticker for $64K. Also a dealer car and 6 months old.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PARealtor
I looked at a 2019 with a $89K MSRP that was the dealer owners vehicle that was asking $72K. They sold it in a week.

I just bought a 2019 prestige with air, black optic, no B&O or massage seats and a $79K sticker for $64K. Also a dealer car and 6 months old.
Thank you @PARealtor, I appreciate the information provided.

Everyone's input ultimately helps to manage my expectations as I prepare for potential negotiations.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi Atlanta seems to move a high volume of 2019 CPO Q7s at around 20% off msrp. None with B&O.

I tried to negotiate with Audi Denver on a different 2019 CPO Q7, same but w/o B&O. No luck, even sent them similar cars with same feature, to which they told me something must be wrong with the cars.

good luck and post an update.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got a notification from carguru that the car sold so will guess you pulled the trigger.

Were you able to get a better deal?

Quick Reply: 2019 CPO Q7 Prestige - Seeking Purchasing / Negotiating Advice