A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Updating HERE map vs buying connect prime

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Updating HERE map vs buying connect prime

Since my HERE map updates are no longer free and map is outdated 2018/2019. I'm wondering whether to update (HERE) or subscribe to connect prime, (which has google overlay on HERE) makes more sense.

Does anyone know how the Google overlay behave on an outdated HERE map?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Bestcar17; 07-19-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

I may be wrong but I don't think that subscribing to Connect Prime gets you more map updates.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
Since my HERE map updates are no longer free and map is outdated 2018/2019. I'm wondering whether to update (HERE) or subscribe to connect prime, (which has google overlay on HERE) makes more sense.

Does anyone know how the Google overlay behave on an outdated HERE map?

Thanks in advance
I may be wrong but I don’t believe the HERE maps are used in anything other than the A8.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

HERE is the former NavTeq company before Nokia bought it, renamed it and eventually sold it to Daimler, BMW and Audi, so yes the map data itself is from HERE. The A8, all-new A6,7, Q8 and the upcoming B9.5 however use the HERE platform, so satellite images, destination searches etc are provided by HERE and no longer by Google. These newer cars will also continue to have satellite overlay past the end of next year. All cars that are still using Google Earth at this point will lose this feature. To OPs question, the satellite overviews are just images. They do not contain navigation data. So all the route planning etc. is done using the version of the map that you have. So it's possible that you will see new roads etc. on the satellite images, but you won't be able to get the nav to navigate on them, unless the underlying map data is aware of those roads.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
HERE is the former NavTeq company before Nokia bought it, renamed it and eventually sold it to Daimler, BMW and Audi, so yes the map data itself is from HERE. The A8, all-new A6,7, Q8 and the upcoming B9.5 however use the HERE platform, so satellite images, destination searches etc are provided by HERE and no longer by Google. These newer cars will also continue to have satellite overlay past the end of next year. All cars that are still using Google Earth at this point will lose this feature. To OPs question, the satellite overviews are just images. They do not contain navigation data. So all the route planning etc. is done using the version of the map that you have. So it's possible that you will see new roads etc. on the satellite images, but you won't be able to get the nav to navigate on them, unless the underlying map data is aware of those roads.
Well aware of everything you stated except the fact the map data is from HERE. Audi clearly has dated information on their technology site. Tried to find the page during my lunch but could not.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
Well aware of everything you stated except the fact the map data is from HERE. Audi clearly has dated information on their technology site. Tried to find the page during my lunch but could not.
Navteq was and still is now under the new name one of the two largest digital map data providers for navigation systems. The other one is TeleAtlas. So the majority of navigation systems, in-car, Garmin, TomTom etc. use map data from either HERE (formerly Navteq) or TeleAtlas. TeleAtlas was acquired by TomTom a while back.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks all, wish Audi would include map updates in their connected packages, making it more enticing.

Superswise**** as of yesterday Audi still uses Google overlay on all their new 2019 and upcoming 2020 models.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can still get the map updates (until you reach the limit of 5) without Audi Connect. But if you want **traffic info** integrated into the maps and navigation, you need to get Audi Connect.

Last edited by MDAudi; 07-20-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MDAudi
You can still get the map updates (until you reach the limit of 5) without Audi Connect. But if you want **traffic info** integrated into the maps and navigation, you need to get Audi Connect.
Or flip a bit in the MMI and get Sirius traffic.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
Thanks all, wish Audi would include map updates in their connected packages, making it more enticing.

Superswise**** as of yesterday Audi still uses Google overlay on all their new 2019 and upcoming 2020 models.
That's only with the models that still have the older MMI system. The new system uses HERE satellite overlays along with 3D terrain models.

https://www.here.com/en/company/stra.../audi/IVIdemo#

Also, BTW, the 2020 A4 is getting facelifted and it's getting the new HERE based touch MMI Infotainment system.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...d-photos-info/

Last edited by superswiss; 07-20-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Updating HERE map vs buying connect prime