Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Exhaust system not covered by extended warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Exhaust system not covered by extended warranty??

So my dealer calls me back and says I have a crack in my exhaust system past the catalytic converter. It’s going to cost $2200 to fix.

I’m at 51100 miles so past the factory warranty.
He says my extended warranty won’t cover it. He says most extended warranties will not cover. I have the fidelity one purchased thru the dealer when I bought the Q7.

Does anyone know if exhaust system isn’t covered by extended warranty? I would think it would have been bumper to bumper like the factory warranty. Leads me to wonder what else isn’t covered....

thx
Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the warranty documents, one I had before for another vehicle had a page long of things that were excluded. I cancelled the warranty after reading the list since pretty much all expensive stuff was not covered such as navigation system.
The following users liked this post:
PROEDGEBIKER.COM (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Platinum Exclusions UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE THE FOLLOWING PARTS ARE EXCLUDED: Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components and assemblies, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except Hybrid/EV/High Voltage batteries as listed under Silver Coverage Plan, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, constant velocity joint boots, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, radar detectors, appliances, or vinyl and convertible tops.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Although exhaust system is explicitly stated as being excluded, is there any way to ascertain what caused the crack? I'm wondering if you could make the case that it was due to faulty manufacturing - if review of the crack leads one to conclude this. That might be the only course you have.

If by chance it appears the crack was caused by some sort of impact, I would guess you're SOL. Might be possible to find a system from a wrecked Q7 and swap out - if so desired. Otherwise I'm sure a competent shop could just seal the crack.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you are unsuccessful you might consider an exhaust shop which could probably weld the crack for a heck of a lot less coin!
Maui19 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You’re not much past the factory mileage limit. Might talk to Audi-they May cover it for good will. Mercedes replaced an engine at six years for me as a food will gesture ( cracked ring and low miles ).
Old 07-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Exhaust systems appear to be $$$ on the Q7. I posted a thread here about my accident, and the exhaust part of the repair is a nice chunk of the total cost.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
You’re not much past the factory mileage limit. Might talk to Audi-they May cover it for good will. Mercedes replaced an engine at six years for me as a food will gesture ( cracked ring and low miles ).
So I got a phone call from the dealership, Audi service manager talked to Audi! . They’re going to cover it as good will!! I was about 1100 miles over.

now I got to seriously look at what’s excluded from my extended warranty and hope nothing else breaks 😀
randomman1 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, if you add up those costs you've detailed, it happens to add up to $2155, which is just a small stone's throw away from the quote the OP got..

Originally Posted by Force-1
Exhaust systems appear to be $$$ on the Q7. I posted a thread here about my accident, and the exhaust part of the repair is a nice chunk of the total cost.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ecbc1
So I got a phone call from the dealership, Audi service manager talked to Audi! . They’re going to cover it as good will!! I was about 1100 miles over.
😀

Quick Reply: Exhaust system not covered by extended warranty??