TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Pad and Rotors - replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TT RS -- Pad and Rotors -- replacement?

TT RS ----- Hi, just got a brake wear sensor warning on the dash. Phoned the dealer and they want a small fortune for pads and rotors ($3400 cdn). They wont install pads only! I got the factory manual for my car (from factory manuals .com, awesome manuals!!!! I highly recommend getting a set of these if you do your own maintenance.) Just measured the thickness of my rotors and they are 33.6mm. Bearing in mind they are 34mm new then I think they do not need replacing. Wear limit is stamped on and it says 32.4mm, see pictures. Even buying pads and new pins and clips is going to be $950 cdn (from ECS tuning including shipping).
Has anyone had any luck with other pads, I want daily drive all season pads, as I drive the car all winter so any cold temp limited pads are a no go.
As for cleaning the calipers Audi recommends Methylated spirits. Any tips for cleaning?
I am a little shocked at the price Audi want but then its an RS!! The fitting of these pads is very straight forward, even easier then my Golf GTI, so that's a bonus.

I am just stunned Audi dealers are really trying to grab my cash instead of doing the required work. Not impressed!! BTW my car only has 27500 km on it. Mostly highway driving and one track day. I don't hit the brakes hard as a habit.

Anyway here are the pics of the wear limit on the rotors in case anyone else is about to do this work.

Wear limits, brake pads ⇒ Maintenance ; Booklet 822 ; Maintenance
work; Brake pads: checking thickness
PR No. 1LU/1LN/1LL/1ZK, TT RS
Brake disc ∅ mm 370
Thickness when
new
mm 34
Wear limit mm 32

Last edited by DMouseCA; 07-22-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I had my local mechanic install them. He used Audi pads, too, at my insistence.
The Audi dealer wanted $1K to install pads. My mechanic did it for under $200.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, so which after market pads did you get! And was that the price for your mechanic to install the pads you bought?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Like I wrote, I got Audi pads and paid under $200 installed.
B
Old 07-22-2019, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok should have mentioned before mine is the RS. Pads alone are around $640. Standard TT pads are $95
Old 07-22-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Ceramic pads?
Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

ECS Tuning list 2 pads, one is for the ceramic rotors and they are $776. The others are for the steel rotors and they are $642.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't let the dealer bully you into changing pads and rotors if you don't need to. For my first front brake job I only changed pads because my rotors were still good. And there are aftermarket options which are much cheaper than stock. You can get brake pads which cost less than a third of OEM costs.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If I recall, nobody makes front pads so Audi is your only option. I picked up a set for all corners from an audi dealer online. Few hundred. Bucks, did the job myself. I'll do my own new rotors next time. Probably go aftermarket. Hell, if I improved braking performance with aftermarket on my lotus, the Audi can slso be done. I avoid going to the Stealer whenever possible. Remember, they make FAR more $ fixing cars than selling them.......
Old 07-23-2019, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JFHughes08088
If I recall, nobody makes front pads so Audi is your only option. I picked up a set for all corners from an audi dealer online. Few hundred. Bucks, did the job myself. I'll do my own new rotors next time. Probably go aftermarket. Hell, if I improved braking performance with aftermarket on my lotus, the Audi can slso be done. I avoid going to the Stealer whenever possible. Remember, they make FAR more $ fixing cars than selling them.......
Believe it or not, Rock Auto has pads that will fit from Power Stop, Bendix, Wagner and Centrix. Check it out.

Quick Reply: Pad and Rotors - replacement?