A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

After a short,: no power to radio, climate control..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a short,: no power to radio, climate control..

I was installing a new amp, and spliced the power lead for the stock radio to use as a switched turn on/off for the amp (red cable coming from the small adapter that also has speaker wires in it).

I screwed up and the switched connection came loose from the amp while I was testing it, and hit the case of the amp. Small spark and a pop. This sucked but I've had it happen before, and assumed I just blew a fuse.

I went through the fuses to the left of the driver seat in the dash, nothing was blown (specifically looked at fuse 37 which is the radio). No power coming through the lead cable, and also no power to my climate control, AND the temperature readout in the instrument panel is now blank.

Hopefully there's a secret fuse or something I'm missing.. otherwise I really franked something.

This is my first post on the forums but I use them extensively for research. I searched for a while and couldn't find an answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Joey T

Default I will skip my usual rant about aftermarket electronics

As it seems to make me sound old.

You checked the fuses as on the have power? Pull the hush panel, check those two larger fuses.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Default Re: I will skip my usual rant about aftermarket electronics

I appreciate your advice. I'm not familiar with the term "hush panel"?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM

cover below steering wheel,also known as knee bolster
Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM

Default Re: cover below steering wheel,also known as knee bolster

ahh ok. I removed this panel and saw a number of "block fuses" there. I removed them one by one, and didn't see any clear indicator if they were blown or not.

They look expensive.. is there an easy way to tell which one may be the culprit without buying them all and swapping one at a time? I'm hesitant to try to pop them open.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default what radio? symphony has a fuse on the back of the radio unit itself...

though it sounds like you are having problems further up the electrical stream than that.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Joey T

Default The hush panel is the panel over the pedals

It comes off with the lower part of the dash, it only houses two fuses on the relay panel.

How did you test the fuses again? Do you have power in and out of the fuses? You need to start at one end and work towards the battery.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Re: The hush panel is the panel over the pedals

I see the relays but not the fuses you speak of. Is it possible the relay is blown? Is that something I can check easily with a multi-meter?

Trying to find my Haynes manual so I can get an idea of which relay may be the one.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Re: The hush panel is the panel over the pedals

After some further research and look at some of the wiring diagrams, there are two failure between the red radio power cable and the battery.

One is fuse 37/37a which I have tested.

The other is in the Relay Plate, at connection point "30". I've located a relay with connection point "30" and will attempt to swap it out tomorrow. The good news is, this point is also used in the diagram for the Automatic climate control.. so here's hoping.

Thanks to everyone, esp. Joey T, for your help so far.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM

This is why the first procedure when working with electrical is to disconnect the battery

Quick Reply: After a short,: no power to radio, climate control..