HUGE "Thumbs Up" to Miramar Audi!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUGE "Thumbs Up" to Miramar Audi!!!

Won't bore with all the details; they've been covered ad nauseum on this and the A3 board but suffice to say, my 2007 A3 2.0 had it's Cam Chain break a few weeks ago causing oil to stop pumping, pistons to stop coming back down, etc., etc. Of course it was out of warranty (more than 4 years) but LOW miles (under 40K). As I'm in LA, the dealer in Van Nuys I had it towed to had it for a week and had no clue what had happened; tried blaming it on after market software, needing a new ECM etc. When they told me I needed a new ECM but were still guessing, I paid (alot!) to have it towed to my old friends at Miramar Audi who correctly (sadly) diagnosed the problem as noted above. As it was out of "official" warranty, it was going to be on me for a full engine rebuild to the tune of almost $10k. I felt that was just wrong and I should not have had to pay for an engine problem at such low miles, especially given I have ALWAYS maintained it religiously and always at the dealer. My Service Adviser, George Gushulak (HUGE props to George!), went to bat with Audi for me and made a very strong "loyalty" case. I have been an Audi (and VW) customer for over 14 years. This morning I got the word Audi was going to cover the WHOLE repair and it wouldn't cost me a dime! Abso, f-ing, mazing! I had no hope they would step up and do the right thing and had already been negotiating on a new car (with alot of out of pocket being "upside down" on my loan) but now I'm getting my baby back (in maybe 10-14 days). We all complain about stuff (justifiably) on these pages but Miramar Audi, George and Audi USA all stepped up and deserve huge kudos from me...and you think they won my loyalty for life now??!!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default woo hoo

Did they mention to you that Audi extended the warranty on the camshaft issue to 10 years?
why they missed it to begin with when is becoming the most common failure in these engines.
you just happened to visit 2 incompetent dealers for something quite simple.
credit where credit is due.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s4master1
Did they mention to you that Audi extended the warranty on the camshaft issue to 10 years?
why they missed it to begin with when is becoming the most common failure in these engines.
What specifically are you referring to when you say the "camshaft issue"?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

btw, where does your attitude come from?...I agree one dealer was truly incompetent...no idea where you get the idea the 2nd one was...enlighten me?..."something quite simple"? really?...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Attitude

Originally Posted by Nealcp
btw, where does your attitude come from?...I agree one dealer was truly incompetent...no idea where you get the idea the 2nd one was...enlighten me?..."something quite simple"? really?...
WTF? My A3...
So my A3's engine was almost entirely rebuilt (under warranty) last summer after the Crank Sensor failed and broke apart leaving pieces in the crank shaft area which then destroyed the shaft, etc., etc. Miramar Audi in San Diego worked long and hard on it and bungled it a couple times but eventually all was good. So now I'm in LA and driving, "minding my own business" and it just dead dies at a light. Turn the key and the engine spins but no way it's going to catch. So I have it towed to Keyes Audi in Sherman Oaks. I should mention I have APR Stage II software as well as APR high performance fuel pump and performance exhaust (which had nothing to do with last summer). This dealership runs the VagCom and it says a fault with the Crank Sensor. So they physically check it and all is fine. They ask can they flash it with stock (had to 'fess up' about the SW) and I say, OK but what does that have to do with anything? Well, they do it and, guess what, nothing. Now, two days later they have contacted Audi who sent them a SW to DL into my car to maybe "fix" the problem. It makes no sense to me that it's anything to do with SW and nothing with what they said the VagCom told them does either. Spoke with a REAL Audi tech not at the dealer and he suggested right away he'd try the high performance fuel pump sensor or the 'in the tank' fuel pump. Keyes refuses to try either because "their guys are trained by Audi, blah, blah, blah"...so...who do I believe? Why is this so f-ing hard to figure out? It can't be I'm the only A3 owner this ever happened to, is it? Any thoughts? TIA!
Nealcp is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

try reading your posts carefully from the beginning and you tell me if I have attitude.
fact is you been getting a bunch of BS from all 3, (SD dealer, VN dealer and your REAL Audi tech).
Now if you don't like the tone don't ask or try to ask technical questions, Am a mechanic and will tell you facts based on car symptoms you describe,
however when you state that the cam chain broke preventing the oil pump to pump oil and the pistons to come down just sounds dome from a mechanic's point of view.
you want better info and glorify your dealer tell them to tell you a story that makes more sense, or even get pictures.
next time you in LA stop by my shop EURO-TECH MOTORS and will show you around and tell you how an engine works, specifically your 2.0 fsi, with the camshaft issues, and just so you know we stock the HPFP, camshafts and the updated tappet to repair this.
plus as I type this we have 2 cars at a local dealer performing this operations as we told our customers that is no longer needed done by us as Audi extended the warranty.
We actually go the extra mile for our customers and take their cars to the dealer because they know they will get a BS story most of the time.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

WTF? My A3...
So my A3's engine was almost entirely rebuilt (under warranty) last summer after the Crank Sensor failed and broke apart leaving pieces in the crank shaft area which then destroyed the shaft, etc., etc. Miramar Audi in San Diego worked long and hard on it and bungled it a couple times but eventually all was good. So now I'm in LA and driving, "minding my own business" and it just dead dies at a light. Turn the key and the engine spins but no way it's going to catch. So I have it towed to Keyes Audi in Sherman Oaks. I should mention I have APR Stage II software as well as APR high performance fuel pump and performance exhaust (which had nothing to do with last summer). This dealership runs the VagCom and it says a fault with the Crank Sensor. So they physically check it and all is fine. They ask can they flash it with stock (had to 'fess up' about the SW) and I say, OK but what does that have to do with anything? Well, they do it and, guess what, nothing. Now, two days later they have contacted Audi who sent them a SW to DL into my car to maybe "fix" the problem. It makes no sense to me that it's anything to do with SW and nothing with what they said the VagCom told them does either. Spoke with a REAL Audi tech not at the dealer and he suggested right away he'd try the high performance fuel pump sensor or the 'in the tank' fuel pump. Keyes refuses to try either because "their guys are trained by Audi, blah, blah, blah"...so...who do I believe? Why is this so f-ing hard to figure out? It can't be I'm the only A3 owner this ever happened to, is it? Any thoughts? TIA!
Nealcp is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

try reading your posts carefully from the beginning and you tell me if I have attitude.
fact is you been getting a bunch of BS from all 3, (SD dealer, VN dealer and your REAL Audi tech).
Now if you don't like the tone don't ask or try to ask technical questions, Am a mechanic and will tell you facts based on car symptoms you describe,
however when you state that the cam chain broke preventing the oil pump to pump oil and the pistons to come down just sounds dome from a mechanic's point of view.
you want better info and glorify your dealer tell them to tell you a story that makes more sense, or even get pictures.
next time you in LA stop by my shop EURO-TECH MOTORS and will show you around and tell you how an engine works, specifically your 2.0 fsi, with the camshaft issues, and just so you know we stock the HPFP, camshafts and the updated tappet to repair this.
plus as I type this we have 2 cars at a local dealer performing this operations as we told our customers that is no longer needed done by us as Audi extended the warranty.
We actually go the extra mile for our customers and take their cars to the dealer because they know they will get a BS story most of the time.
I am still waiting to hear about this extension of warranty to "10 years" for some "camshaft issue". Please share the link describing that officially, ok?

As a matter of fact, "next time I in LA"...I live in LA which you would have picked up if you'd taken more time reading my posts and less time attacking a non technical person for simply sharing the story as I got it...I have actually heard very good things about Euro Tech and would have considered using your facility before you chose to berate someone for not telling the technical story exactly as you thought it should be told. (btw, what does, "getting a bunch of BS from all 3, (SD dealer, VN dealer and your REAL Audi tech), even mean? Who is this alleged "real Audi tech" you speak of?)...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Warranty

A4 2005-2007 VIN range WAU___8E_5A405683 to WAU___8E_7A284778

A4 Cab 2007 VIN range WAU___8H_7K013458 to WAU___8H_7K037815

A3 2006-2007 VIN range WAU___8P_6A000150 to WAU___8P_7A227907 that's the VIN range covered by the warranty
btw, is 10 years or 120k miles
calm down on the aggressiveness, If you were this aggressive with your service writer you wouldn't be here complaining.
BS from all 3= SD San Diego dealer, VN= valley dealer, REAL tech?, you mention a real Audi tech not working at a dealer told you both fuel pumps, correct?.
Something quite simple,... really?
yes really, usually takes 1/2 an hour to figure this out as we had diagnose plenty of them and now we are helping customers get a refund from Audi.
I appreciate your consideration for my shop and is my lost if you changed your mind, but we actually only take customers recommended by a current customer as is hard to accommodate everybody with the capacity we have at this time, but THANK YOU either way.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

A3 2006-2007 VIN range WAU___8P_6A000150 to WAU___8P_7A227907 that's the VIN range covered by the warranty
calm down on the aggressiveness, If you were this aggressive with your service writer you wouldn't be here complaining.
BS from all 3= SD San Diego dealer, VN= valley dealer, REAL tech?, you mention a real Audi tech not working at a dealer told you both fuel pumps, correct?.
yes really, usually takes 1/2 an hour to figure this out as we had diagnose plenty of them and now we are helping customers get a refund from Audi.
I appreciate your consideration for my shop and is my lost if you changed your mind, but we actually only take customers recommended by a current customer as is hard to accommodate everybody with the capacity we have at this time, but THANK YOU either way.
Show me where this information is publicly provided; not just something you came up with. That's what I asked. Also, never mentioned some "real Audi tech"...you're not following as closely as you pretended to be...No "aggressiveness" at all...just responding to your superior attitude in kind...is that unusual for you?...do you take this same tack with customers of yours who know less technically about their cars than you do? I bet that goes over well with them...criticism of people always does, right?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, the extended warranty/recall you are referring to is the "Cam Follower" which, if you will read carefully, was what was repaired last year in the partial rebuild. The "Cam Chain" broke this time which was not officially covered under this warranty extension...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep..thank you for your input but just spoke with my dealer (not the idiots in VN (they really were truly incompetent) but the ones working with me to fix the current problem). My issue last year with the partial "rebuild" (maybe not using the exact correct terms for you) was the Cam Follower you referenced. That was covered regardless since was still in my warranty. This issue now was not related, so they say...

Quick Reply: HUGE "Thumbs Up" to Miramar Audi!!!