Just back from Julian Drive :-D :-D :-D

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That would help very little. My suspension is dialed in very well, but the AWD is not what helps in

in the corner. A little more rear wheel bias is just more proof that AWD does nothing for cornering.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc17.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc17.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dialed in how?

I'm curious what rate springs you're running and how much camber/toe you have dialed in. The quattro system naturally causes understeer like a fwd car stock. Even the RS4(B5) with it's 4:1 bias center diff exhibits understeer per it's reviewers. That isn't to say you can't dial out understeer.

Quattro is a benefit for performance driving when you have the vehicle setup with proper alignment specs (-2.0 to -3.0 camber front, slight toe out front and rear, minimal negative camber rear). Higher rate rear springs vs front are also key. If you were to put a set of 600/750 rate springs on a B5 A4/S4 you'd realize even with quattro you can get your car to handle almost neutral or even oversteer.

Also the article you linked is for winter driving, and it's 6 years old. A lot of suspension technology/setups have been track tested on the quattro platform since then.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You are still missing the point. No matter what you do to the car,AWD does nothing for cornering!

You can set up the suspension and bias anyway you want. AWD still does nothing to help corner. What do you not understand? Yes, you can make the car handle better with suspension and tweakes here and there. But AWD still has nothing to do with how the car corners.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uh wha? AWD allows you to apply power quicker coming out of a corner

AWD allows you to maintain wheel speed much better in rally applications through "Corners".

What about AWD doesn't assist in cornering? Throttle and the application of power to the ground can help a car transition through a turn faster. Of course if you're going through the turn off throttle awd doesn't do anything, but if you're able to stay under throttle or enter throttle quicker how does it not help you corner as you speak? I'm confused here. Cornering isn't just about suspension, and vehicle dynamics outside of the powertrain.

Your point is lost because well it just doesn't make sense. Man I wish i could quickly upload a 700mb file, you want to see how awd can help you corner, I suggest looking for a video called Secrets of Speed in relations to Quattro.