Anyone know of a good machine shop to bore out my k03 housings for..

Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know of a good machine shop to bore out my k03 housings for..

k04 CHRA?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Honestly, no. But to be brutally honest,

It's really not a great idea to do that.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad idea.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I understand that no one believes this to be a good idea but Im not..

understanding the reason why. Does anyone have the exact answer as to why this is a bad idea? Other than some people doing it improperly and having failure with them I dont understand why the turbos would have failure if properly bored(stress points addressed, exact clearances between wheels and housings) to specifications of a K04. I cant find a good explaination in the forums so if someone could enlighten me with the information it would be very appreciated.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few reasons

(disclaimer: I'm sure someone else could explain it better, but this is my take....and yes, there are plenty of good explanations out there in the AW archives)

-There is a high failure rate for any k03 or k04 that has had the CHRA modified, even when being replaced (not even being 'upgraded').

-The inlet opening for the K04 is notably bigger than the K03 and there is no way a machine shop can fix that. In fact, I would say that it is likely impossible to machine the k03 (either exhaust or intake side) housing to the same volume as the K04 housing.

-The oil galleries on K04's are larger than those on pre-2001.5 K03 turbos (and possibly also on 2001.5 and newer).
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default *Rolls eyes*...wasted mental energy...just buy the damned K04's and move on with your life.

Sorry to be so negative...this is kind of like working on a group dyno day that takes six months to plan, only to save 10 lousy dollars and wait around ALL DAY to get on the rollers...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks thats all I wanted to know. I appreciate the explanation.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I just wanted a better explaination. The more info you have the less money you..

spend. Its like when I had no idea why my car wouldnt engage into reverse and you replied to a my post "Neutral safety switch" so not knowing anything about automatics I trusted the advice and wasted 225 dollars and ten hours of labor to find out later it was a bad solenoid connection. Im not blaming you by posting this comment but more information could have helped me out instead of throwing around answers that may be correct or incorrect. If I knew more about s4s I would not ask questions about them. I have also searched the forums for the hybrid turbo info and most of the info is old or yes/no answers which is very vague. The only way to learn is by asking questions and research so if Im going to receive smart remarks for this then maybe Im asking the wrong people. I thought the forums were for people to communicate about their cars and help others who also love Audis whether they are new to the cars or veterans.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Glad to help.

I've read too many stories of people trying to do hybrids or other CHRA swaps, where they end up spending 3X the time and 2X the money because of a failure that caused them to have to pull the engine and replace the turbos a second time.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed on getting K04s, but 'ya can't blame someone for wanting more info.

As for the Dyno Day reference....a lot of the appeal is the social factor....well...at least for those of us who aren't anti-social.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone know of a good machine shop to bore out my k03 housings for..