shope/mechanic recommendation? - Gulf Coast (Mobile, AL~ Pensecola, FL ~ Biloxi, MS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shope/mechanic recommendation? - Gulf Coast (Mobile, AL~ Pensecola, FL ~ Biloxi, MS)

I have a handful of work that needs to be done to my 1997 Audi a4 Quattro 2.8L 12V (190K miles). I am in college and don't have a lot of time/money anymore to DIY. I will be receiving my tax return soon and I would like my car running in tip top shape. Ideally, I would like someone who can work on this car on the side, taking their time and charge a fair price. I can borrow my sisters car she left in Mobile, AL for college. I can also bring it to a shop, but I am worried about the costs. Recommedations are appreciated.

Here is a description of several of my problems:

*Most importantly I just found a pretty bad oil leak coming from one of the upper gaskets (can't see exactly). It is dripping a good bit on the drive way, but I have not been able to gauge the rate it is leaking yet.

*The car has been idling rough, almost like it is choking. I pulled some codes related to the car running "to rich" and "to lean" not to mention a couple more. I neglected to write these down.

*I have smelled a burning smell for a couple months also, I don't think the smell is oil burning though. (I hope it isn't the clutch)

*I am loosing coolant, but cant find where.

*Power steering has been leaking, but I am unsure from where. This has been a small issue for 3 years, and it doesn't affect my steering.

*I have some sort of suspension problem with my rear passenger side. I was told that this could be related to the rear tie-rod on that side, and I have purchased that part.

*I need my O2 sensors changed. The current post cat sensors are seized to the pipe and I was afraid to put to much torque on them since the car was on jack stands with me under it. I have the sensors but they need to soldered to the existing harness.