Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

2013 Audi A4 Eletromachenical steering rack replacement

Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Audi A4 Eletromachenical steering rack replacement

Good Day,

I have an issue with my vehicle's steering rack on a 2013 Audi A4.
The part number of the steering rack in my car is: 8K0909144D
I want to buy a new steering rack with part number: 8K0909144J.
Will this new part work in my vehicle?

Thanks guys.
The following users liked this post:
manih786 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack issue

Hi, seen ur post above and I am going through similar phase,changed my steering rack (last letter) is different and I am still having issues with steering,my mechanic says to get calliberation done and should be fine,if u can put some in this please,thanks
Old 12-12-2021, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I realize this is an old thread. I have a new to me 2014 B8.5. My mechanic has seen the problem with the rack on these cars. The steering shaft gets rusted. He pulled off the cap on the bottom and sprayed lube up the shaft (no homo) and worked the shaft (still no homo). Car had a binding point when I bought it. Drives great now for $150 that he included in the post purchase bill. Not putting out a plug, but Edge Motors outside of NYC is the best place around the Northeast.
manih786 (12-12-2021)
Old 01-05-2022, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just wondering if any of you guys found out whether the letter at the end of the part number makes any difference? Current steering rack on my car is 8K0909144D and looking to replace it with 8K0909144G.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dkhuts
Just wondering if any of you guys found out whether the letter at the end of the part number makes any difference? Current steering rack on my car is 8K0909144D and looking to replace it with 8K0909144G.
I need to know this too for my 2012 Audi A4. Part number on it is 8K0909144D but can find other parts with a different last letter.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TypicalDru
I need to know this too for my 2012 Audi A4. Part number on it is 8K0909144D but can find other parts with a different last letter.
The parts should be compatible. I called the Audi dealer, who gave me a completely different part number to what was on my steering rack, even though he looked up the part based on the registration of my car. I ended up getting the Part with G at the end, and it fit with no issues (Was faulty so had to remove it, also managed to make a bit of a mess fitting it). Ended up finding a steering rack with the D at the end on Ebay for about £450 delivered from Lithuania, just make sure its for the correct side of the steering wheel.
But yeah, from my experience the letter at the end doesnt make a difference
Old 12-02-2022, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The parts should be compatible. I called the Audi dealer, who gave me a completely different part number to what was on my steering rack, even though he looked up the part based on the registration of my car. I ended up getting the Part with G at the end, and it fit with no issues (Was faulty so had to remove it, also managed to make a bit of a mess fitting it). Ended up finding a steering rack with the D at the end on Ebay for about £450 delivered from Lithuania, just make sure its for the correct side of the steering wheel.
But yeah, from my experience the letter at the end doesnt make a difference
That sounds hopeful then. Did you need to flash/recode it to the car?
Old 12-02-2022, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure about that one... I made a mess of it trying to fit it myself the first time (Must have moved the steering wheel when the rack was out). The power steering was back working but the car was pulling to the left. Brought it to a garage and got it fitted there, didn't think to ask whether any coding had to be done but I'm fairly certain an OBD2 scanner to clear the codes will work, worst case scenario you may need Vagcom but I doubt it.
galaxys (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not sure about that one... I made a mess of it trying to fit it myself the first time (Must have moved the steering wheel when the rack was out). The power steering was back working but the car was pulling to the left. Brought it to a garage and got it fitted there, didn't think to ask whether any coding had to be done but I'm fairly certain an OBD2 scanner to clear the codes will work, worst case scenario you may need Vagcom but I doubt it.
Ok that's good news then. Fitting won't be a problem, it's the coding that is putting me off buying a part with a slightly different part.
galaxys (12-03-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TypicalDru
Ok that's good news then. Fitting won't be a problem, it's the coding that is putting me off buying a part with a slightly different part.
Hi, did you succeed to fit and code different part number? If yes what part number did you fit? I have same part number like yours fitted on my car and I can't find it to buy. Many thanks for your answers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Audi A4 Eletromachenical steering rack replacement