Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

A7 TDI 3.0 Quattro air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 TDI 3.0 Quattro air suspension problem

Hello everyone,

I'm based in Ireland and have a 2011 A7. I noticed a few weeks ago that sometimes when the car is parked overnight, the next morning the rear suspension is at its lowest point. The dashboard used to show the yellow warning light for "air suspension fault" but today this problem is now showing in red and not to exceed 60km.

The good news is that the compressor is still working as you can hear it kicking in to inflate the airspring (bag I assume). So I'm not sure if it is one or both bags that are defective ( I heard from an Audi mechanic recently there was an issue with airbag suspension from that particular year) or whether there is a leak elsewhere.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,
Old 06-30-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Get the stunt-bagspring fixed before you burn out your compressor pump

I let my leaking front strut go and now the compressor needs a new piston ring. If your pump has to run too much it will overheat and the computer shuts it off. New compressors are $1000-2000. If you are lucky and it's just the compressor piston ring, then its a $40 kit to rebuild - found on ebay. I read to replace the relay in the dash whenever redoing the pump -- because when the pump overheats the relay also overheats and gets "sticky" and may leave the pump on and burn it out... relay is $9-20 for a common 40a one and it is the one on the LEFT. I'll try to attach the pic from a YouTube video. Must carefully remove the inch thick trim to get to the screws for the bottom of the dash to access it. Look for the YouTube video.

Originally Posted by Frank7
Hello everyone,

I'm based in Ireland and have a 2011 A7. I noticed a few weeks ago that sometimes when the car is parked overnight, the next morning the rear suspension is at its lowest point. The dashboard used to show the yellow warning light for "air suspension fault" but today this problem is now showing in red and not to exceed 60km.

The good news is that the compressor is still working as you can hear it kicking in to inflate the airspring (bag I assume). So I'm not sure if it is one or both bags that are defective ( I heard from an Audi mechanic recently there was an issue with airbag suspension from that particular year) or whether there is a leak elsewhere.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails A7 TDI 3.0 Quattro air suspension problem-audia8airsuspensionrelay.jpeg  
Old 06-30-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Get the stunt-bagspring fixed before you burn out your compressor pump

I let my leaking front strut go and now the compressor needs a new piston ring. If your pump has to run too much it will overheat and the computer shuts it off. New compressors are $1000-2000. If you are lucky and it's just the compressor piston ring, then its a $40 kit to rebuild - found on ebay. I read to replace the relay in the dash whenever redoing the pump -- because when the pump overheats the relay also overheats and gets "sticky" and may leave the pump on and burn it out... relay is $9-20 for a common 40a one and it is the one on the LEFT. I'll try to attach the pic from a YouTube video. Must carefully remove the inch thick trim to get to the screws for the bottom of the dash to access it. Look for the YouTube video.

In the pic the upper right FUSE is for the pumps and the bottom left RELAY is for the A8L air suspension pump. I'd bet the A7 is similar...

BTW - there is a ebay.co.uk site that has the piston ring kit in the UK. Bagpiping Andy.

Originally Posted by Frank7
Hello everyone,

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,