Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

B7 S4 Inner Tension Rod Replacement - DIY or Shop???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B7 S4 Inner Tension Rod Replacement - DIY or Shop???

Hi

B7 S4, I need to replace my inner tie rod. The front wheel has some play in it also hearing some clunking.

Aside from this I also need to swap out my summer to winter wheels, and need to do an oil change and alignment (for the tie rod). Just wondering about doing the oil change and tie rod myself, then bringing it to an alignment shop to swap the wheels out and align since I am replacing the tie rod.

How much should this cost DIY versus bringing it in to the shop? I feel like I got a very high quote for something I might be able to do myself. The only thing I cant do myself is alignment. Any suggestions, and how much should the inner tie rod be to replace in a shop (parts and labor). I looked up the part and its something like $60

Novice to beginner level owner!
(used to do some DIYs on my previous BMW)
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll ignore the oil change and wheel swap which are, for the most part, brain-dead simple.

If the B7 is similar to the B5/C5 ( and i presume it is) - Tie rod end replacement is not THAT difficult. That said, if the threads are corroded, and they well may be, it can bew almost impossible. In my small sample, i'm about 50/50 on having to use a torch or remove the entire tire rod and replace it. You will need some fancy tools (a crow's foot on an extension as I recall) to hold the inner while you loosen the outer.

Soak with your favorite penetrant for about a week before you begin.

Make sure you really brace the car well (jackstands, chocks) because you will be more or less IN the wheel well and pulling things relatively hard.

On my 2002 S6 one was quite easy; the other impossible.

Count Thread turns when you remove the old one so you can get the alignment (toe) close.

Grant