Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Front AR Air Spring - Bolt size Question

Old 05-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front AR Air Spring - Bolt size Question

Hello all,

Advanced apologies, if this isn't the appropriate section to ask this, but figured people here would have the answer.

I'm replacing the front bags on my 2003 AR. I have both strut tower assemblies out, no problem there.

My issue is, the 6 Torx bolts on the upper strut mount. They are not T-40 or T-45. Of course everywhere I have looked sears, HD, Lowes, all auto parts stores, Harbor freight, do not carry any sizes between T-40 and T-45.

I'm amazed, I have never seen this size issue mentioned before. Is there some secret site I am not privy to.

Any assistance and advice would be appreciated. Even sources for the hard to find sizes of Torx bits would be appreciated. Just to be clear, the T-40 slips when pressure is applied and the T-45 doesn't fir at all. I would say these ar OEM bolts, as the bags look pretty beat. Also most after market kits are wisely including hex head replacement bolts.

I've attached a picture, to make it clear, of what I speak.

Thanks very much in advance!!
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution and answer

Figured I'd post what I found out, as well as my solution. There have been allot of views of my post, but no answers, so hope this helps someone else.

What I found out:

These are NOT Torx head bolts, they are TRIPLE SQUARE bolts. The difference being, more points in the bolt head and therefore, more points on the needed bit. I've attached a simple diagram that shows what I mean. So while the T-40 bit would fit in, it didn't "fit" properly. Due to lack of points, it slipped when pressure was applied. I suggest going to FCP Euro, they have these bits, on their site.

My solution:

Should have just gone old school, from the start. Extractors, worked great for this issue. Bought a set at HD, had to use my own bits to drill the centers. They backed out just fine. If you have a drill with variable torque, set it low, so the extractor wont slip and can get a good bite.

As I said before, the new Air Springs, came with regular bolts, so you will never need to worry about this again.

Last note: OEM front shocks (and maybe all others too) need a special tool to remove the Shock cap. You have to use a hex(allen) key/wrench, while using a 18mm socket (on 2003 AR), to remove the nut from the threaded shaft. You can cheat and use a socket, channel locks and a hex key, to get it off, but will need to torque it down when re-installing. They sell a "Strut nut socket" (14.95 + 6.50 S&H). Another pic will save me describing it. I may try and make my own, from a spare 18mm deep well socket. Free time will dictate if that happens.

As I said, I hope this will help others, who are tackling Air Spring replacement for the first time. Had all the correct tool been on hand, it would have been about 45 minutes per side and done.
Attached Images    

Last edited by hzcct; 05-30-2015 at 06:15 PM.