Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

need help diagnosing suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help diagnosing suspension issues

Hey, I just need some feedback from ppl more familiar with suspension systems than myself.

I have an 01 audi a6 avant I acquired recently. When I drive on a road with some irregularities it bounces a lot more than most cars do, including other AUDI's I've driven. It's almost like I'm in a speedboat on choppy waters -- a little springy if you know what I mean. Is that due to shock absorbers going bad, or did someone just put some cheap ones on there? Any recommendation for shocks that will handle rougher highways without too much spring? I'd prefer more performance oriented shocks, but nothing too extreme. Comfort's still important. It's a quattro, so is it recommended to replace all four shocks at once?

One other issue: the front drivers side makes a slight pop/rattle sound on larger bumps. Which suspension component is most suspect? I'm not sure what to look for on failing suspension parts.

Thanks,
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what you need to do, is jack it up, and grab the wheel. Firmly try to move the wheel back and forth feeling for loose clunky pars. Then grab from the top and bottom, and firmly try to move it up and down, any play is bad. visually inspect all the ball joint rubber boots, also the tie rod end boots. Any joints with broken rubber boots are garbage. Check the sway bar to link bolts are tight. Put the car down, bounce the front of the car a good ammount of travel and then stop, it "should" just go up then down and rest. Not a few more bounces, not keep bouncing, If so, struts are no good. If its just the fronts, than just replace the fronts. Hope that helps
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k, thanks. That gives me a good place to start.