Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

New rattling sound in 2015 SQ5 front suspension at 45K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rattling sound in 2015 SQ5 front suspension at 45K miles

I purchased a 2015 SQ5 as a CPO from an Audi dealer two years ago. Not one problem from 15K miles until 45K miles. After taking it under original factory warranty to my local Audi dealer to fix one thing, I've had one repair after another in the last few months, having to take it back six times (crack coolant reservoir for which they replaced the thermostat, replaced bearings in right rear wheel for a problem that I didn't even identify, two trips for ratting sunroof, and now two more trips for the latest issue with front suspension. I'm convinced that they fix one thing and disrupt another because the car is a money maker for them at zero cost to me while under warranty, but that's another story. About three months ago, a secondary but clearly distinct to me light rattling sound from the front suspension when going over potholes cropped up out of nowhere. It's harder for me to replicate the rattle when going over bumps. Also, when I mean rattle, it's not ongoing, but rather one light rattle per pothole or whatever triggers it, and that's it. It's definitely coming from the front axle and pretty sure it's the driver side. I took it to my Audi dealer two months ago, and the invoice indicates that they replaced both lower control arms (because the bushings alone apparently couldn't be replaced). Unfortunately, that did nothing to alleviate the light secondary rattle. And by that, I mean if I'm going over bumpier road at higher speeds, the rattling sound can't be heard over the louder and more solid sounding noises that a car and its suspension typically makes, if that makes sense. About a month ago, I took it back to the same Audi dealer, and they said that the installation done the first time wasn't proper because the suspension should have been compressed when they did the work. According to the invoice, they loosened the lower arms, compressed the suspension and re-torqued the arms. They thought that did the trick, but I can clearly here the same annoying rattle. Before taking it back for the third time for the same problem, ughhhh, I was hoping someone on here could provide some advice on what the cause of the rattle might be or what the dealer should be looking for. I'm also thinking of going to another Audi dealer this time even though the next closest one is about 45 minutes instead of 15 minutes away. I'm at 46K miles now, so I definitely want to resolve this annoyance before the original factory warranty expires at 50K miles. No way I'm paying $85 per visit for this under the CPO warranty. I've looked all over this forum for a similar issue someone else might have had, but I couldn't find anything. I doubt it's an SQ5 specific issue, so posting under Suspenion Tuning and under Q5 discussions. Any thoughts???
Old 01-24-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Sounds like sway bar bushings or end links.