Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Reduce wheel game without sacrificing ride quality.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduce wheel game without sacrificing ride quality.

Hello everyone, I have a 2018 SQ5 lease but didn't get the Sport package, so I don't have air suspension (so I don't think I can lower it via Vag-com can I?). I have a lot of wheel gap that I'd like to reduce for a more sporty look. What is the best way to accomplish this? I'd like something that is easily removable for when I go return the lease and not as expensive as coilovers. I also would like to keep a nice quality ride, so I don't think I want just lowering springs, because them make the ride bouncy as hell. Is there anything like this that exists? Someone mentioned endlinks to me, but I'm not familiar with those. Are those easy to install/remove? Good quality ride?

Also, in addition to any suspension changes, I have 21" wheels now, would moving up to 22" further reduce the wheel gap ever so slightly?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by theycallmesike
Hello everyone, I have a 2018 SQ5 lease but didn't get the Sport package, so I don't have air suspension (so I don't think I can lower it via Vag-com can I?). I have a lot of wheel gap that I'd like to reduce for a more sporty look. What is the best way to accomplish this? I'd like something that is easily removable for when I go return the lease and not as expensive as coilovers. I also would like to keep a nice quality ride, so I don't think I want just lowering springs, because them make the ride bouncy as hell. Is there anything like this that exists? Someone mentioned endlinks to me, but I'm not familiar with those. Are those easy to install/remove? Good quality ride?

Also, in addition to any suspension changes, I have 21" wheels now, would moving up to 22" further reduce the wheel gap ever so slightly?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Bottomline, you are going to be better off not trying to find inexpensive ways of lowering the car. All of those choices will diminish ride quality.

About the only inexpensive method would be lowering springs. This collapses the suspension and diminishes the amount of shock travel - giving you less suspension and diminishing ride quality.

Lowering the car without impairing the handling and ride quality really requires purchasing all new suspension designed to lower the car. Even then most stuff out on the market is geared toward performance and NOT comfort.

Just leave it. I have been through this all before and it never ends well.

Also, no, you cannot lower the car with VCDS if you don't have the factory air suspension.