Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

My Experience with Karlyn Suspension Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default My Experience with Karlyn Suspension Parts

Karlyn is complete crap. All four of mine went after only a few thousand miles (TBD).
(I've been buying from FCP since they were FCP Groton, like 1999... I have a great rapport with them but I am just disgusted with the Karlyn parts).
The attempt at a review for Karlyn which I left on FCP's site:
The control arms and their bushings in this Karlyn kit fit many cars, from VWs (light weight) up to Audi A8L and even the porker VW Phaeton (trucklike weight). I bought the Karlyn kit (after making sure the rubber was Made In U.S.A. - in New York) and carefully, perfectly installed it (I have the Bentley disc shop manual, I am very active on Audiworld, I have Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS (which is a comprehensive, powerful software interface for VWAG products); the reason it's necessary for this repair is due to the necessity to verify proper function of, and to set, the A8L's factory air suspension height - very important). I measured carefully (installation heights of UCAs) and torqued/marked/double-checked torque the bolts (DRY per the manual, BTW). Also relevant is I'd done the same repair on my '98 Passat (using better quality parts) about 100k miles ago; no trouble yet. The Passat has a 1.8T with Garret Chip (stock=8#PSI boost, GIAC = 22PSI; best $500 I ever spent) _and_a_5-speed (much harder on the bushings) - _and-I_autocross_it_, as well as drive it hard. (A8L was Wife's car, Passat is Mine). Back to the Karlyn kit. Complete ****e. I bet we only put 1000 miles on the car before the rubber gave way. I realize this is a weak point on the heavy A8Ls but...
I have the VCDS with the dates and mileages (which are read from each of the hundreds of modules in the car) by the software; no way to falsify) from when the car went up on jackstands until the repair was completed; and then when the suspension crapped out (although the failure is diagnosed by rattles and visual inspection and so cannot be verified by VCDS, but at least one can see the dates & mileage).
So now my car is virtually undriveable and probably even unsafe, after applying the FCP Guarantee and the generous 10% apology it looks like I'll have to spend another $500 for Lemforder, and then I will have to spent $2000 if I can find an indy who lets customers bring their own parts - unlikely - or just bend over and spend >$6000 at the dealer (an hour from my house; no loaner, I asked/begged) to remedy this mess. My present situation precludes me from working on a car which I need desperately. You have been warned

-Tom