Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Upper Strut Stop = Crooked Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Strut Stop = Crooked Steering Wheel?

This is a cross-post that I also put on the TT page... Just trying to figure this out from as many sources as possible.

My steering wheel is crooked, and I think it has to do with the upper strut stop on the passenger side.

I recently (1000 miles ago) redid all of my suspension components. The car rides like a dream now... Before, I was getting all sorts of knocks and shakes, especially above 60 mph. Now, I love driving her, and these past miles have been a real treat. The only issue I've encountered is my crooked steering wheel...

On the passenger side, the upper strut stop was completely different from the driver side. I know the car was in a frontal accident before I got it (I purchased it at 70,000 miles, from 36,000 to my purchase, the Carfax is blank except for a clutch at 50K miles). Could there have been damage to the upper strut mount? The upper strut stop I took off the passenger side was galvanized steel, much thicker than the OEM one, and the hole was off center. Has anyone else see anything like this?

The attached pic is all the hardware I replaced in the front, less CV axles. The parts are highlighted in red, and the yellow in the box is the Strut Stop assembly that was different on the passenger side. All other parts were the same.

Part No for OEM Strut Stop: 1J0412319C

ECS Tuning link:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-TT_MKI..._Strut/ES3045/

(I'll include pics of the "custom" strut stop once I get home from my folks house)
Attached Images