2014 Q7 TDI w/55K miles

Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Q7 TDI w/55K miles

I took the car in for 55K miles service today and was told that the tech saw an oil leak in the rear main seal. The costs to fix will be approx $5400. I'm a little bit disappointed as they pointed this out now when i'm out of warranty now.

I'm an original owner and love driving the car, but now I'm starting to have doubts on the car as I don't want this car to become a money pit..and I'm not very happy on this EPA fix which will destroy the torque and horsepower of the car.

If I spend the money to fix this, what's the next big costly repair item I should be prepared for? Would it be cheaper for me to go to an independent mechanic shop rather then the dealer?

I live in central NJ, so if anyone knows of any good mechanics, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

You still have your original warranty until they release a fix; the settlement came with a bridge warranty.. then once the fix is applied you get an extended powertrain warranty and I would think this would be a powertrain issue.

Secondly the EPA wont destroy the power output of the car; The fix cant have more than a 5% impact on performance.. and since the fix is mostly spraying 2x as much AdBlue, and thats all post-combustion.. I dont see why it would destroy the torque and horsepower.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, it seems to me your approach to deciding whether to keep or trade your 2014 Audi Q7 TDI is considering the wrong elements.

Do you enjoy driving the car? Does it meet or exceed your transportation wants and needs? Has it been reliable?

Dealership mechanics are trained and encouraged to look for minor but expensive repairs they can sell their customers. Some may even engage in trickery such as squirting oil somewhere under the car and claiming an oil leak.

Minor oil seepage from the engine's rear crankshaft seal is nothing more than a minor annoyance. Will it cause engine damage or failure if ignored? No.

Will the engine break down and strand you because of a minor seal seepage? No.

Ignore it.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you both for replying. I do feel a lot better knowing that I do have an extended power train warranty due to the lawsuit and I also thought that these mechanics were trying to scare me about the seal leak.

If it's up to me, I would keep the car and drive it to the ground as it's probably the best SUV I've ever driven.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

There is a Class Bridge Warranty for eligible owners and eligible lessees with Generation Two
Eligible Vehicles whose original New Vehicle Limited Warranty (“NVLW”) and/or Powertrain Limited
Warranty (“PLW”) expired/expires prior to the timely availability of an Emissions Compliant Repair, and
which are not covered by any other applicable warranty and/or service contract provided through
Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, or any third party. Volkswagen agrees to provide a Class Bridge Warranty
providing coverage and terms mirroring the coverage previously provided by the expired NVLW or PLW.
The Class Bridge Warranty shall apply exclusively to covered repairs performed by an Authorized Dealer
based on conditions that arose between (1) January 31, 2017 or the expiration date of the NVLW or PLW,
whichever is later, and (2) the date that an Emissions Compliant Repair is approved or denied.
source: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...t%20Notice.pdf

make em fix it before they come up with an emissions fix; audi should eat it..