3.0L TDI now added to the EPA investigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0L TDI now added to the EPA investigation

Now that the 3.0L TDI models have been added to the EPA investigation, has there been any news from Audi on timeframe for a software update or other actions to correct?

I recently purchased a 2016 A7 TDI. Absolutely love this car ... looks, power, room, highway mileage .. a perfect long distance travel car for my wife and I. But this recent update certainly presents a problem for maintaining the value of this very expensive purchase. My daughter's boyfriend recently tried to trade in a Touareg TDI and they wouldn't take it in trade because of the outstanding emissions issues. So all of us with these TDI's are now in a kind of limbo, with our very expensive new cars either practically worthless on the resale market, and/or significantly underwater overnight.

VW/Audi/Porsche needs to get out in front of this ASAP. Get to the root of the issue, put out a SW update that corrects the emissions issue, or offer some kind of buy back for recent purchases if they can't correct it since it represents a sale in bad faith.

Thoughts? Anyone have some inside track info?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am in the same boat. Took delivery of my 2016 A6 in July of 2015. Currently have less than 5000 miles on it. Absolutely love the car. My concerns are based on depreciated value, as well as performance being significantly degraded with the " fix" potentially prescribed by Audi.

I can live with a slight decrease in mpg. The car is rated for 38mpg highway, but I consistently get 42-43. I'd still be happy with 38. I also doubt if I could honestly notice getting to 60 mph in say 6.0 seconds vs the advertised 5.5.

Audi needs to move quickly to address the fix. Being equipped with the SCR urea system, one would think a program change to inject more adblue would do the trick. I can also live with filling that tank more often as well.

Just get on with it Audi. In the mean time, I'm keeping my A6 under 5000mi in case that is some arbitrary cut off for possible buy back/exchange.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First week of December and nothing new from VAG. Lord knows how long this is going to take. I'm sure the dealers holding TDI models in inventory are just as anxious as we are to be able to market their vehicles....probably more.
I'm sure VAG wants to get the "fix" right the first time and the campaign to retain customers fair and just to all, while keeping costs to a minimum. They are walking a very small diameter tightrope: too parsimonious with the offers to retain us and they lose loyalty and repeat business.....too generous and they lose more money than necessary and maybe lose some loyal customers anyway.

I'd be stunned if VAG offered an outright buy back of any brand new TDI model for full purchase price. Those of us with 2014 and 2015 models should get reimbursed for fair market depreciation difference before and after the stop-sale and a big discount incentive to buy another VAG product or an additional check if we decide to decline the purchase of a new vehicle. Some of us will opt to switch brands after all is said and done.

Regardless, sooner is better than later.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soonerfan
First week of December and nothing new from VAG. Lord knows how long this is going to take. I'm sure the dealers holding TDI models in inventory are just as anxious as we are to be able to market their vehicles....probably more.
I'm sure VAG wants to get the "fix" right the first time and the campaign to retain customers fair and just to all, while keeping costs to a minimum. They are walking a very small diameter tightrope: too parsimonious with the offers to retain us and they lose loyalty and repeat business.....too generous and they lose more money than necessary and maybe lose some loyal customers anyway.

I'd be stunned if VAG offered an outright buy back of any brand new TDI model for full purchase price. Those of us with 2014 and 2015 models should get reimbursed for fair market depreciation difference before and after the stop-sale and a big discount incentive to buy another VAG product or an additional check if we decide to decline the purchase of a new vehicle. Some of us will opt to switch brands after all is said and done.

Regardless, sooner is better than later.
I agree with the sentiments and frustration expressed by all from Audi's lack of transparency with those of us that paid a premium to buy their cars.
I can understand that they wish to control resolution. However, key stakeholders like us deserve they they be upfront on how they are managing this
Old 12-06-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In recent communications, my dealership has indicated that Audi will present the plan of action for the 3.0L engine in January. Hopefully those that report on the matter will press Audi to reveal the consequences on performance.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Painless
In recent communications, my dealership has indicated that Audi will present the plan of action for the 3.0L engine in January. Hopefully those that report on the matter will press Audi to reveal the consequences on performance.
This is good news!

I will be waiting for the stop sale to be lifted as I was looking at the TDI Q5 before this all happened.

I just hope the modification does not alter the MPG or HP much...

Coming from 2 diesel BMWs, I would think that the Audi TDI will be easy to fix as both brands already has the urea post SCR injection....