DIY AdBlue... Adapting reduciing agent tank...

Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY AdBlue... Adapting reduciing agent tank...

Got a Q7 TDI, and at the 5k service the dealership didn't fill it up with AdBlue. Result was that
around 11k miles it gave the warning of 1500 miles left. Called to see if I could just buy
the AdBlue and fill it myself. (had to speak to 3 different people before I got someone who knew what that was)

The dealership ended up filling it, but in the process they gave me a "Technical Service Bulletin" which seems to address a problem of the "Refill AdBlue" message show despite adequate level.

The solution is to use a diagnostic computer to run a function called "Adapting reducing agent tank adaption values". The bulletin indicates that this is normal procedure when re-filling with AdBlue!?

So does this mean that one really can't re-fill AdBlue at home? I understand that physically I can add it, but if the sensor has to be reset, it does me now good as the engine will not restart once it runs out.

If need be I can scan this bulletin and post.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is just a total guess bu if you run it low enough for the message to show up you might need to have the dealer reset the light. The logical thing is that the warning go away after you top it off but I didn't see the TSB.

I use a Ross Tech VCDS tool (search if you don't know what it is) to reset the warning lights and service reminders. You can also adjust car settings. This may be able to reset the warning. Please post the bulletin or email it to me because I have a TDI forum and others may be interested in this.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi ChrisR,

I expect that the user friendliness of AdBlue (in the USA DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid) will be a major subject of discussion in the future.

I am the Managing Director of an AdBlue refuelling equipment supplier to the auto and truck industry. One of the major early complaints with AdBlue will be the ease of refuelling by trucks, compared to passenger car owners. This is a difficult question to answer, but is based on the comparative sizes of tanks and the refuelling flow rates in the two vehicles.

It will not be for the forseeable future be possible to refuell AdBlue in the same way that you can refuell gas in your car. We are working together with Audi on possible solutions, but the amount that each vechile needs is small in comparasion to diesel or gasoline cars and that because of the aggressive chemical nature of AdBlue regular pumps are not economically feasable right now.

Your problem relates to a simple safety mechanism. Audi has given assurances that this technology will perfom as designed for the vehicle's lifetime. Without proper safeguards, it would be possible to pour tap water in the tank and nobody would be the wiser. Naturally the exhaust emmissions would be enormous and the vehicle's AdBlue onboard system would be destroyed. The legislators as well as the car manufacturers would prefer this not to happen, therefore controls have been put in place for unscrupulous drivers.

The environmental and economical benefits far outweigh any negatives and buyers of cars fitted out for AdBlue should not be discouraged from purchasing this technology.

I hope that you have great pleasure in your Q7 and can assure you that you have made a wise choice.

Best regards,

Alan Cardew
Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default TSB

Here is a scan of the TSC. Reading it still sounds like its a mandatory step.

Physically adding AdBlue (or DEF) to the Q7 is not hard. It also my understanding that
truck stops like Pilot will soon start carrying DEF in 2-5 gallon containers?

And I am enjoying the Q7 TDI tremendously. Just wish I didn't have to buy a scan/service
tool to reset basic stuff like maintenance and oil changes.
Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chitty, FYI the Q7 has two Adblue tanks, 15.5ltr under the car and a 7ltr header tank behind the side panel. The Warning will not go away when you fill the system because US emissions regulations do not permit this Diesel engine to run without the additive. It can only be reset when full and must be reset when full or the car will shut down after 1500 miles.
The TSB was to solve a problem whereby the reset/adaption cancelled the warning but did not reset the counter.
So yes you could fill your own but its pointless unless you reset the counter via Vag Com or VCDS tool as its more properly called.
I think the problem for most people who would DIY is they will need to get teh TSB performed anyway and the fill should last service to service so it shouldnt ever be an issue.
I realise this is pretty much restating what has already been said in this thread so to make it worthwhile here is a photo courtesy of Autoblog.com showing the injector pump in all its glory mounted on the turbo housing
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Chitty, FYI the Q7 has two Adblue tanks, 15.5ltr under the car and a 7ltr header tank behind the side panel. The Warning will not go away when you fill the system because US emissions regulations do not permit this Diesel engine to run without the additive. It can only be reset when full and must be reset when full or the car will shut down after 1500 miles.
The TSB was to solve a problem whereby the reset/adaption cancelled the warning but did not reset the counter.
So yes you could fill your own but its pointless unless you reset the counter via Vag Com or VCDS tool as its more properly called.
Do you know for sure whether the VCDS will handle this task? When I emailed Ross-Tech's Service, they were not sure whether it would do the reset/re-adapt or not.