2.0TDI sudden power loss pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0TDI sudden power loss pls help!

Hi All,

I have a 2017 2.0 TDI Q5 which my wife drives.

A few months ago, we noticed the car would suddenly jolt / power loss / shudder usually upon acceleration and intermittent. It doesn't seem to do it on long drives i.e. high speed highway driving and would usually do it upon 10-15min of driving and can also happen a couple of times one after another.
I've had my auto electrician check it and there are no CEL or any codes that would reveal the issue. He has run the computer while driving and experiencing the issue that doesnt seem to suggest any issue with fuel rail or any codes while driving.

Any ideas ? can it be a injector issue ?? or bad fuel ?

Pls Help !
Old 01-12-2024, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 580 Posts

Always include the current mileage on your car, as it really helps in remote diagnosis of specific types of issues, as well as understanding perhaps a bit more about the state of your car, etc.

From your description my initial thought is you haven't serviced the transmission fluid on this car, and the transmission is controlled by number of hydraulic solenoids. There are some other possibilities too, but the shudder, jolt (or hard shift), and power loss all are consistent with an unhappy transmission. Driveline lubricants (front/rear differentials, transfer case, transmission) all should be service on a regular interval basis.

It doesn't sound like the 'auto-electrician' you mention is qualified to diagnose a transmission related performance issue. If he were, then he could have directed the scan tool to the transmission live data channel monitors, etc. I'd suggest you buy an inexpensive VAGCOM capable scan tool simply to access any internal trouble codes these cars store inside control modules, etc. Long before there is a CEL/MIL lamp on the dashboard, there are hidden trouble codes stored, at least in most cases.

Here's a quick overview reference for what to look for on the used Q5 model through model year 2017, but you can search for specific symptoms on the internet also:

Old 01-27-2024, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been really helpful.

Its has 60k miles on it.

I did notice noises coming from the rear diff when performing sharp turns .. this could be a clue based on some of your suggestions.

I did have the transmission oil changed at 55k miles.