How is the 3.0 TDI? I would like to hear from some high mileage people

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

I am afraid that the TDi will never return to the US.
The following users liked this post:
JnTShow (02-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am afraid that the TDi will never return to the US.
The decision to permit import and certification of VWAG vehicles with TDI engines will indirectly depend on us and the elected officials we choose.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used A6 TDi 3.0 with 148k on it. Currently at 153k after a few months, I'm averaging around 38-40mpg daily. I love my car, it's nicer then my wifes S5.

As for diesel trucks yes the old 7.3 powersmokes are good, but hard on oil. Stay away from the newer stuff from Ferd. Cummins 12v and 24v 5.9 motors are bulletproof for the most part. I've had 3 Gm duramax trucks in the past LB7, LLy, LBZ motors. The early LB7 was my favorite, the LBZ had the better 6 speed allison transmission though. I currently have a 2015 Ram ecodiesel and its fantastic, I've seen up to 27.7 mpg on long family trips along the mississippi. Great little motor that does the job, but lacks the omph the Audi 3.0TDI has when you put your foot down.
JnTShow (02-28-2022)
Old 10-06-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default TDI

Originally Posted by Tedrohedro

Are you talking SUVs?
hands down the ford excursion 7.3L diesel - bullet proof. Now incredibly hard to find in great condition w low miles- last year production was early 2003- when you do find one- very expensive.
one of the worst Diesel engines was fords 6.0 diesel. However if u spend the money - 10K and know an excellent diesel mechanic- they can “bulletproof” the 6.0- after that is done- it’s good for 500k miles- and usually guarenteed for life or 500K miles by the mechanic.
Dont know any suv that Chevy put their diesel in. As far as the Chevy truck diesel- they had some bad years- 03-06- injector problems- every 50k miles or less had to be changed- like 5 grand in work.

cummings diesel in the dodge- one of the best- practically bulletproof- however i don’t know of any SUV dodge put it in. Also w dodge- the Cummings is great but the body and interior fall apart long before the engine quits.

hey so back to my question... do u have an Audi 3.0 TDI- what are their issues?
I came here looking for information on buying a Q7 TDI after the whole scandal thing happened, there now seems to be some great deals out there in these fantastic cars!

For starters, I currently have a 2002 Ford Excursion limited w/ 7.3L and I love it, probably never get rid of it, well I can’t say never but... bought it 5 years ago just over 100k miles, I looked for over a year and had many purchased from under neath me before I could even get out to look at it. Been a great truck, tows everything I have and is a fairly rare unit, now has 160k trouble free miles.

I currently daily drive my A6 Avant Quattro 3.0 gasser and also been a great car, has 223k miles and I told myself I should just drive the wheels off it but I really like these Q7 TDI units and have seen a lot local to me, thinking I would like to take the leap. Been reading through the forums to gather as much info I can before I do so, wealth of knowledge here.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just bought an 2014 A6 TDI with 192,000 miles. Added another 5000 with no problems. Planning to pass the 300k.
Let's see if I can make it. No major issues on record.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

177000 and counting. I had the recall performed for the revised dog,o2 sensor and tuning over winter. I’ve been averaging around 42mpg now in the warmer months. Seems to be slowly getting better yet. Outside of my transmission being herky jerky when it’s cold I have zero complaints.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:33 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Exactly.

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It is a real shame how VAG handled the entire situation from beginning to end.
I have 81k miles on my from new '14 Q5 TDI and the fixes are complete. I had one issue at about 41K when the inline fuel pump made allot of noise and was replaced warranty. About 20K miles ago, I drove from the east coast to Sparks, NV, 6,300+ miles and back home, a truly memorable trip with the Q5 performing flawlessly and 40 mpg. Someday I want a new car before my time runs out and at 75+ the actuarials say the clocks ticking BUT....I love this car and even with some insane dealer offers, it will stay in my possession with the "other" machine if I get it. The 440 lb-ft of the Q5 TDI torque is intoxicating and is not replaceable when you press on the go-fast pedal.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Привет и России. Катаю 5 лет А6С7 3.0 дизель. 147 000 км. тяга отлично. работает от -40 до +48 градусов без проблем.
нужно следить за чистотой радиаторов охлаждения двигателя и коробкой это важно. !!! тогда не будет проблемм.
в топливо всегда добавляю присадку ликви молли дизель и все чисто в системе топлива.
делал ремонт коробкиDSG7 замена электронных плат управления клапанами
купил шнурок VCDS и сам теперь смотрю ошибки или делаю настройки в машине так как мне нужно
вот мой профиль https://www.drive2.ru/users/korablew45/
удачи на дорогах)

Last edited by KORABLEW45; 09-05-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedrohedro
hello all- I’m thinking of buying an A8 with the 3.0 TDI engine. I would like to know how is this engine.
Problems? How is it lasting.?

anyone have a few hundred thousand miles?

this would be my first diesel car- I have and do own a diesel truck- and as American diesel trucks go- there are good diesels and there are terrible ones that will bankrupt you....

any feedback helps
thanks
ted
I have a 2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI with over 117,000. It has been pretty much bullet proof and runs great. I get 42 mpg on the flat hwys here in Florida and run a plug and play software that increased my HP from 240 to 283 and trq from 428 to 515.
I also have an 05 3.2 A6 Gas with 244,000 miles. Runs great also. Leaks a little oil but doesn't burn any.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HBarlow
The decision to permit import and certification of VWAG vehicles with TDI engines will indirectly depend on us and the elected officials we choose.
A climate scientist friend sent me a bunch of information about both National Academy of Sciences and a US Senate committee that took testimony ONLY from actual scientists with appropriate credentials.
https://www.nationalacademies.org/ne...uction-and-use

Their conclusion adds up to revealing the MOST environmentally damaging prime mover available at that time (2009) was...wait for it... Battery Electric vehicles - due to the tremendous ecological damage from battery manufacturing (for of course Li ion)
The LEAST damaging was 100% bio diesel, followed by B10 ULSD as we almost all use today.

With such simple and obvious information clearly available and in hands of US legislators, it is time we as citizens of Europe and North America challenge the morons within government who wish to bankrupt our grandchildren by raiding their debt obligations to hand out billion$$ in subsidy money to promote EVs.
Mythicalnima (03-11-2024)

Quick Reply: How is the 3.0 TDI? I would like to hear from some high mileage people