surprised there isn't a thread just for TDI debacle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surprised there isn't a thread just for TDI debacle...

I received my offer for buyback and I wanted to see what others are thinking / discussing regarding how much it is, logistics, etc.

Very surprised there isn't a thread (or threads) devoted to this ongoing TDI debacle to keep it in one place instead of spread out among the different models.

Also surprised there are not any complaints about having to upload just one PDF document to the claims portal - I feel very sorry for the less computer literate folks, since this isn't a simple task to create one document from multiple files unless your printer lets you scan multiple pages into one document - mine does not. I suppose there are always the fax or snail mail options...

I initially only uploaded my signed acceptance page and the notarized release page, because, well, why would I upload anything else? It wasn't too hard to find some free software that would combine a couple of pages, but it did take some time to make sure it was a credible piece of software and didn't leave watermarks on the pages.

Well, they do want the entire document! Took me longer to find free software that would split the document up (again, without watermarks on each page).

For those that haven't done it yet, I used "PDF Splitter and Merger Free" available at www.pdfarea.com (or via cnet download). Note that sometimes the "Splitter" part is spelled "Spliter" . . .

Here is what you have to do:

1) Scan in your signed acceptance page
2) Scan in your notarized release page(s)

3) Use software to split up the "Final Offer Letter" they sent you into two or three separate documents as follows:
  • pages 1-4
  • pages 6-7
  • page 9 (no co-registrant for me - if you have one, you will create only two documents when you split the Final Offer Letter)

4) Combine all of these using the merge part - for the software I used, you select the "Merger" tab. You "add" the documents in the same order that you want the resulting one to be ordered (i.e., pp 1-4, acceptance page, pp 6-7, release page(s), and voila! there you have your one document to upload to the claims portal.

I hope this is helpful to at least one of you.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A big discussion of the "TDI Debacle" as you described it is not appropriate or allowed in the forum because it's a religion and political issue.

The issue has had no impact whatsoever on my love and appreciation for VWAG cars and TDI engines.

VWAG bought my well used but much loved VW JSW TDI for thousands more than it was worth and I replaced it with a new Audi TDI which I like even better.

As icing on the cake VWAG is offering me a cash rebate to make the discounted price I paid for the Audi even more attractive.

What debacle?

Last edited by HBarlow; 06-10-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HBarlow
A big discussion of the "TDI Debacle" as you described it is not appropriate or allowed in the forum because it's a religion and political issue.
Religious & political issue? I guess I'm extremely naive. I thought it was all about lies and cover-ups. But regardless, I thought that people looking for more info would be helped by having all of it in one place, instead of spread out among the different TDI models. Or perhaps split up by 2.0L & 3.0L. I'm just sayin'.

I really wish I had the same experiences as you, but I have not. The dealer I bought it from was fabulous, but I had to relocate and the dealer closest to me (~60 miles away) has been so awful. The folks are really nice, but it's been (almost) comical how bad the actual service has been - having to go back & forth because they didn't fix something after all, stuff like that. One of their guys even took it home one night and used a toll road to do so - and didn't pay. I ended up with the nasty gram from the toll authority. I only went to a dealer for service because of Audicare, maybe I should not have.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't even have an Audi dealer. I live in a rural area 50 - 60 miles from Lubbock.

There is an excellent Volkswagen dealer in Lubbock. I know the service manager and trust her service department employees. I used the VW dealer on a regular basis for service on my previous VW TDI. The VW Touareg TDI is similar to my Audi so I have taken my Audi to the VW dealer twice now for service.

The Cadillac, BMW, Lexus dealership is currently building a new Audi dealership building. They'll probably open by the end of the year or early next year. I didn't have any confidence in them when my wife owned a BMW for 12 years and don't anticipate liking their Audi store any more than I liked the BMW store. I plan to stay with the VW dealer.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default TDI Fix

On average what were you guys getting back for the fix? For those that have had the fix is it noticeable the reduction the torque/hp/mileage?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DoctorHill
On average what were you guys getting back for the fix? For those that have had the fix is it noticeable the reduction the torque/hp/mileage?
Did the fix yesterday, 2015 Q5 TDI, 75K miles.
I would say, 95% of the owners will not see/feel the diference, but it's here.
1 - car stays in lower gear with higher RPM a lot longer. Which is technically better for the engine than a higher gear with lower RPM under the load. Honestly, this change is actually what I was dreaming about.
2 - in manual mode you will not see any loss of performance. But, in Comfort or Auto, or even in Dynamic mode, the algorithm has definitelly changed. You will need to push pedal slightly further to achive the same goal as before. Again, the performance has not changed, you will just need to ajust yourself to a new behaviour.
3 - All of my custom settings (made by using Carista software) were wiped out Now I will have to do them again.
4 - not sure about gas mileage. But no obvious increase.