AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TDI Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tdi-discussion-101/)
-   -   TDI's being released for sale by VW group (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tdi-discussion-101/tdis-being-released-sale-vw-group-2965349/)

FlightNurse 01-10-2019 12:24 PM

TDI's being released for sale by VW group

Hello people my BMW lease is coming up and I plan on purchasing my next car, have been looking at the TDI models, whether it's a VW or Audi. I haven't seen a thread about this so I thought I would start one. I'm seeing a lot of A3 sedans for sale with the TDI, with very low miles (this has caught my eye) so I'd like to hear from the knowledge collective here about these reprogrammed TDI and the feedback people have on them. Mileage and longevity are my two main concerns. Following regular maintenance is not a program for me, but would love to hear what people think.

TIA

1stGOAT 01-11-2019 10:01 AM

I bought a 2014 A8L 3.0TDI in May of 2018. It was one of the cars covered by the fix. Once the fix is applied you get an extended warranty so buying a low mileage example is probably a great deal. Diesel cars are quickly going away. I think there were maybe 5 offered in the U.S. this 2019 model year. However the fuel should be around for a while though it make become more difficult to find over time if e85 continues to make headway to the pumps.

Diesel was promoted big in Europe by governments with incentives but after the Audi / VW debacle all the cons of diesel also came to the surface. After that from 2015-2017 European government incentives stopped and diesel autos dropped by over 20% and continues to decline with electric now the focus. The same will happen here eventually.

For now, this is my first diesel and I love it. Quiet, fast and fantastic mileage. On the freeway I am getting about 33mpg which is nice for a car this big. I get about 600 miles per tank of mixed driving. Same sized tank on my other A8 with 4.2 best I could get was 320 miles.

So it is a fading technology but a great value for now. (my opinion of course)

KevinGary 01-13-2019 02:44 AM

The so called “fix” ruined these engines. People who purchased their cars after the “fix” was performed don’t know how great these cars were originally. So the good news is that if you buy a post “fix” car you won’t know what you are truly missing. ;)

HBarlow 01-14-2019 03:43 AM

In answer to the OP's question, VWAG TDI cars were outstanding as they were originally designed, tested, built, and sold. I don't think consumers know enough about the modified cars yet to judge their long term performance, drivability, durability, and reliability. Current owners of modified cars have generally reported only a slight loss of power and economy, minor driving issues, but some are reporting repeat problems with emissions system components.

I don't want to read bad news or criticize modified cars because I don't want to contribute to their loss of market value. I own and plan to keep a pristine unmodified TDI.

As KevinGary wrote above, those who did not own an original TDI won't know that they were originally better and may love them as much as we loved them as they were built. Time will tell about durability..

I have a different opinion about long term availability of diesel fuel and viability of diesel cars. I don't believe diesel fuel will become harder to source or that electric cars will ever replace diesel and gasoline unless a future government suppresses use or availability.

If everyone is free to choose, diesel fuel and diesel powered motor vehicles are the natural choice over gasoline, electric, or solar for those who understand the advantages and disadvantages. Electric cars may be fine in the congested cities and small nation states of Europe where most citizens drive short distances. Our US east and west coasts are similar. In the wide open space and vast distances between cities and towns of "flyover country" which makes up most of the US power for commercial transportation will always be provided by diesel and citizens will buy diesel or gasoline for private transportation as long as they are free to choose.

IMO electric cars are a fad, influenced by government incentives but can only exist as long as crude oil, coal, or nuclear power is available to recharge their batteries.

I see some recent positive movement in the US diesel car and light truck market. Since the VWAG TDI debacle hit the news and killed European diesel cars Fiat-Chrysler has quietly resumed offering a 3.0 turbocharged diesel V6 as an option in some JEEP Grand Cherokees, GM has introduced a small turbodiesel 4 cylinder engine in some light duty pickups, and Ford has introduced a 3.0L turbodiesel V6 engine in F150 pickups, Sales of diesel powered heavy duty light trucks such as Ram 2500 and 3500s, Ford F250 and F350, continue as strong as always. Consumers can't tow 15,000 lb. fifth wheel trailers over the Rockies with electric motors or even gasoline engines.

1stGOAT 01-14-2019 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by KevinGary (Post 25261103)
The so called “fix” ruined these engines. People who purchased their cars after the “fix” was performed don’t know how great these cars were originally. So the good news is that if you buy a post “fix” car you won’t know what you are truly missing. ;)

Mine didn't change that much before and after really. I added the Malone Stage2 tune after the fix and wow, car is even nicer than original.

KevinGary 01-15-2019 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1stGOAT (Post 25261916)
Mine didn't change that much before and after really. I added the Malone Stage2 tune after the fix and wow, car is even nicer than original.

I am sure that a post-fix tune helps the situation. :D

tjf 01-15-2019 08:11 AM

I think it may depend on the engine too. I am no expert, as I just got my TDI and have not even driven it yet (still detailing), but it sounds like the fix had different effects on the 2.0 vs the 3.0. From the info that came with the car, it sounds like there is even a difference between the 3.0 in the Q5 vs the A6.

BillB-PA 07-05-2019 05:52 PM

I purchased a '13 TDI Golf for my daughter and liked it so much I just traded a 228XI for an A3 TDI. I think the engine's a gem...

frqflyer 08-07-2019 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by HBarlow (Post 25261482)

I see some recent positive movement in the US diesel car and light truck market. Since the VWAG TDI debacle hit the news and killed European diesel cars Fiat-Chrysler has quietly resumed offering a 3.0 turbocharged diesel V6 as an option in some JEEP Grand Cherokees, GM has introduced a small turbodiesel 4 cylinder engine in some light duty pickups, and Ford has introduced a 3.0L turbodiesel V6 engine in F150 pickups, Sales of diesel powered heavy duty light trucks such as Ram 2500 and 3500s, Ford F250 and F350, continue as strong as always. Consumers can't tow 15,000 lb. fifth wheel trailers over the Rockies with electric motors or even gasoline engines.

I saw Fiat is doing payouts on it's clean diesel stuff recently.

My V10 Ford gasser moves my 26000lb RV and the 4000lb car it tows all over the Rockies including the 550 and 180 with up to 7% grades that go on forever. It's slow going and a diesel no doubt handles hauling way better. I would have a diesel RV in a second if the price for a comparable diesel wasn't over 4x what I got my gasser for (I got my gasser at nearly half of book value thru right place right time).

I hope a Q7 TDI comes back in the future or I will be driving this one until the wheels fall off.

HBarlow 08-07-2019 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by frqflyer (Post 25352226)
I saw Fiat is doing payouts on it's clean diesel stuff recently.

When you mentioned Fiat doing buyouts are you talking about the 3.0 liter V6 diesels in JEEP Grand Cherokees and Ram 1500s? Chrysler is offering that engine in Ram 1500s and JEEPs again.

My V10 Ford gasser moves my 26000lb RV and the 4000lb car it tows all over the Rockies including the 550 and 180 with up to 7% grades that go on forever. It's slow going and a diesel no doubt handles hauling way better. I would have a diesel RV in a second if the price for a comparable diesel wasn't over 4x what I got my gasser for (I got my gasser at nearly half of book value thru right place right time).

I hope a Q7 TDI comes back in the future or I will be driving this one until the wheels fall off.

There's little to prevent us from driving our current Audi TDIs for a million miles with good maintenance.

I believe diesels will return if the market is free to choose. It will happen unless a future government once again imposes nonsensical rules. Diesel power will never be eliminated in over the road trucks and diesel-electric train engines because no other power source is affordable.

Electric cars are nothing more than a temporary fad. There would not be any without taxpayer subsidies. Only a dreamer who believes electric power is free and appears magically in a utility outlet thinks electric cars are the future.

I'm aware of the significant number of gas motorhomes. The motorhome industry sells quite a few Class C motorhomes on Ford cutaway van chassis w/V10 gas motors. They will pull an rv up a steep grade but they do it sucking gas at 4,000 rpm at slower speeds. I've passed hundreds of them.

But few owners every put high miles on a gas-powered motorhome and they don't hold their value very well.

I agree that diesels cost more but not if the owner keeps it and puts a lot of miles on it. My third Dodge-Cummins is a Ram 3500 cab and chassis bought new in January 2008. It has 235,000 trouble free miles on it and still doesn't use or drip any oil. In the last three months it's made a fast trip to Idaho with camper mounted to pick up a boat and several weeks ago to Sault Ste. Marie, MI w/camper. A Ford V10 or any other gas motor won't be running after hauling a motorhome body 235,000 miles.