UK: 2016 a6 tdi manual shuddering after driving for 1 hour

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: 2016 a6 tdi manual shuddering after driving for 1 hour

please can someone help, when driving the car for minimum of 1 hour the car shudders when you set of in 1st gear. Audi have said theres nothing wrong with it so i told them ile bring it in when it does it so took it in and mechanic drove round with me, hes conclusion was he thinks its the clutch so it was booked in and other mechanic drove it home he said he thinks its the gear box then next day gets a call to say theres nothing wrong come and collect it. when it happens its embarrassing we don't know what to do next, can anyone help us we don't know what to do now, thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2018, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Additional facts are needed. Odometer reading? Routine required service completed? Manual or automatic transmission?
When you say, "shudders when you set of in 1st gear" do you mean gentle acceleration, hard throttle, or full throttle acceleration? In a straight line or cornering when starting off?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a manual, you mention "gearbox" and "clutch" maybe clutch chatter.

Clutch chatter is almost always from oil is getting on the plates and once the engine heats up, it's worse. It tells the crankshaft seal is leaking once the engine oil warms up.

Repair is to remove the transmission and replace the seal. May need new clutch plates too sine they are now contaminated. Plus, might as well change them while the tranny is out.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Is the car a pre or post EPA fix car?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI Recall Problems

I have had a similar experience. Prior to the recall the engine would run very smoothly. After the recall I have noticed that the engine runs rough and there is also a noticeable loss of power which is nearly impossible to diagnose because there is no check engine light and/or codes generated by the on board diagnostics which is extremely frustrating.

I took it to the dealer and the service manager told me that he too was experiencing the same problem. He drove an Audi A7 TDI and that after the recall his vehicle was not driving nicely. He told me that it could be the transmission that was causing the problem.

Prior to the recall, I have given people boosts. I boosted my buddy whose battery died while camping. I drove my Q7 TDI right up to his SUV, pressed the parking break and put it I to park, I then popped the hood, plugged the jumper cables to the bolts on my Audi and then to his SUV battery. I then got back in and held down the gas. The engine management computer revved the engine right up to about 3K RPM and held the engine there steadily and smoothly.

After the TDI Recall, I boosted another friend of mine. Same thing except that this time when I pushed the gas pedal down the engine revved up to 2.5K RPM and held there but the revs were rough. You could see the engine tachometer bouncing around a bit.

This is when I realized that the problem was not caused by the transmission as suggested by the service manager. I talked to the service managers at the dealership a second time but their story is the same. They cannot help me unless I am able to reproduce the problem or if there are engine codes. Next time my car is in for service I am going to ask them to do a read out from VAG-COM and see what they come back to me with.

Has anyone else had similar experiences before and after performing the TDI emissions recall?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

There have been many, many reports of problems regarding post-fix engine performance on the various forums. It is depressing.