AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Telematics Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/telematics-discussion-118/)
-   -   '05 S4(B6) Bose/SympII to RNS-E Upgrade Questions - already STFA (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/telematics-discussion-118/05-s4-b6-bose-sympii-rns-e-upgrade-questions-already-stfa-2700516/)

S4Buckeye 12-21-2008 12:29 PM

'05 S4(B6) Bose/SympII to RNS-E Upgrade Questions - already STFA

Hey there. I have a 2005 S4 (B6) Avant with Bose Symphony II head unit and XM tuner (old one that I guess will need an upgrade to 8E0 057 593 E).

Here are my questions:

1. I have an Avant and in the rear left compartment where my XM sat tuner is there are three connectors bundled together: green, curry and blue. I know the green and curry connectors are plugged into XM Sat tuner (i did the install), and the blue connector I assume is the GPS Fakra connector. The question I have is whether that blue GPS connector is coming from behind the head unit or from the Sharkfin antenna? Do I need to run the Sharkfin extension cable from this to front when I install the RNS-E? Kinda lost here.

2. What is my best option for Ipod interface? The new Dension interface that was posted on Fourtitude? I would like to do it now when I do the RNS-E upgrade, but if the control factor sucks maybe SD cards are the way to go....

3. As for SD cards on RNS-E, will SDHC cards work in the SD slot? I saw in archives that they won't, but I am not sure.

Thank you for your help!

joeycuccaro 12-24-2008 06:22 AM

Correct...

1. The blue connect is the GPS Fakra connector. This connector is coming from the sharkfin antenna. If you wish to use it you will have to buy the extension cable. You can grab one for $32 at Navparts.com

2. Ipod integration on the RNS-E sucks. It simply doesn't compare to that of aftermarket units. Go with the SD cards.

3. I havent tried one personally, but as far as ive read they wont work. You can get 4gb SD cards anywhere now for dirt cheap.

S4Buckeye 12-25-2008 05:43 PM

Cool...Thanks!

sharonk868 12-20-2009 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by S4Buckeye (Post 23387882)
Hey there. I have a 2005 S4 (B6) Avant with Bose Symphony II head unit and XM tuner (old one that I guess will need an upgrade to 8E0 057 593 E).

Here are my questions:

1. I have an Avant and in the rear left compartment where my XM sat tuner is there are three connectors bundled together: green, curry and blue. I know the green and curry connectors are plugged into XM Sat tuner (i did the install), and the blue connector I assume is the GPS Fakra connector. The question I have is whether that blue GPS connector is coming from behind the head unit or from the Sharkfin antenna? Do I need to run the Sharkfin extension cable from this to front when I install the RNS-E? Kinda lost here.

2. What is my best option for Ipod interface? The new Dension interface that was posted on Fourtitude? I would like to do it now when I do the RNS-E upgrade, but if the control factor sucks maybe SD cards are the way to go....

3. As for SD cards on RNS-E, will SDHC cards work in the SD slot? I saw in archives that they won't, but I am not sure.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.