Telematics Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get FreedomPop or Truphone to work

Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get FreedomPop or Truphone to work

I've been trying to get either a Freedom Pop or Truphone SIM to work in my 2012 A7. I'm following the directions I've found in posts here -- inputting the APN and then either entering in my own user name/password, entering nothing, or spaces in the user name/password spots. I get bars on the reception meter, which tells me the SIM is functioning in some sense, but the MMI tells me that no data have gone in or out and I'm not seeing any extra functionality to my nav unit or search. Other people seem to be getting these working and I've copied their approaches to the letter, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I missed. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

@agbiggs: Your MY2012 A7 was intended for T-Mobile 3G service, as it was provisioned at the time. In 2019, everything is changed (and those of us with working 3G from AT&T now might not have that for too much longer)...
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agbiggs
I've been trying to get either a Freedom Pop or Truphone SIM to work in my 2012 A7. I'm following the directions I've found in posts here -- inputting the APN and then either entering in my own user name/password, entering nothing, or spaces in the user name/password spots. I get bars on the reception meter, which tells me the SIM is functioning in some sense, but the MMI tells me that no data have gone in or out and I'm not seeing any extra functionality to my nav unit or search. Other people seem to be getting these working and I've copied their approaches to the letter, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I missed. Thanks!
FreedomPop solution is dead for 2012/2013 model years due to the modem. My latest solution to get Google Earth map view working again is US Mobile prepaid SIM using there GSM version (the white card). The SIM costs $4 from Amazon and then $3 for 100Mb per month which is probably enough data per month to get anyone by for the map data. The rest of Audi Connect services don’t work (and didn’t work with FreedomPop). The card worked right out of the box, no need to change APN setting. I’m getting 3G connection with this approach.