AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Telematics Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/telematics-discussion-118/)
-   -   Configure MMI as phone? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/telematics-discussion-118/configure-mmi-phone-2905311/)

jes 08-15-2016 05:04 PM

Configure MMI as phone?

Since Audi's MMI TAC (1st part of IMEI) identifies as a cell phone... is their a way to configure the telephone mode to use the SIM instead of blue tooth? Just toying with an idea... would give the Audi it's own phone #. ;)

superswiss 08-15-2016 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There is, but it may not be exposed depending on your firmware version and country.

jes 08-16-2016 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 24846506)
There is, but it may not be exposed depending on your firmware version and country.

the line is missing in my settings menu... I looked around the green menu, but nothing looked obvious.

Thanks

jes 08-16-2016 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 24846506)
'13 panther blk RS5, ... , european delivery

just reread your sig, maybe they put a different, more configurable version of firmware in a model for european delivery...

superswiss 08-16-2016 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jes (Post 24846655)
just reread your sig, maybe they put a different, more configurable version of firmware in a model for european delivery...

No, same firmware. The option started to appear after I got upgraded to version K0814 last year. Prior to that I didn't have that option.

This option however has been available in the European firmware for a while. I first encountered it several years ago in an Audi rental car in Germany. It actually prompted me when I put in a SIM card and asked which phone I'd like to use to make calls.

I was surprised to see the option in the US firmware all of a sudden. The one thing I noticed, is that the option doesn't appear if you enter the Telephone settings menu too soon. If I wait for the MMI to fully boot and settle in and then go to the Telephone settings, the option is there.

EDIT: Perhaps, I should also mention that I no longer have the original hardware. My head unit was replaced with a redesigned unit last year due to known issues with satellite reception. However, I didn't notice the option until they later upgraded my system to K0814. In the meantime I also received an upgraded telephone module to fully support AT&T and the new T-Mobile frequency bands in their refarmed markets, and I'm using AT&T for service now and not T-Mobile anymore.

jes 08-16-2016 10:03 PM

I also have K0814. I'll have to play some more... ;)

thanks

Tman007 08-23-2016 04:13 PM

I did notice this Call via SIM option also when I got v814. Though I struggled to see the benefit of using it -- maybe for someone that talks to a totally different set of people when they're in their car vs when they're carrying their phone???