Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice from the masters on RNS-E upgrade from D Navi w/TMC

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Looking for advice from the masters on RNS-E upgrade from D Navi w/TMC

Hoping NSX JR, TeddyBGame or one of the other old hands can confirm my preliminary conclusions.

I have a 2000 A6 4.2. It came with Symphony I, Bose and with audio MFSW controls. It was a very, very early one, so it has the audio MFSW controls rather than the telephone MFSW controls that were common on many 2000's. It also had the 6 disk trunk CD unit and factory analog phone.

In the 2003/2004 timeframe when Dan Gold put the stuff up on tvwiz.net and before it came down, I bought a D Navi from ebay Germany and installed it using those directions. That was before the PNP harnesses started showing up, so I did it by painfully moving pins around on the connectors, adding the jumpers where needed and making up the 26 pin connector. My car was early enough that it didn't have the CAN wires from the inst. cluster, so I ran those. Finally I bought a TMC box (from one of the guys here) in order to enable the center display for the nav related info.

The installation works almost perfectly to this day. I had the analog phone working then too, but disconnected it a couple of years ago and re adapted the programming to delete the phone. CD player remains in the trunk and functioning perfectly.

With RNS-E's for C5 A6's now starting to show up as re-swap outs as people sell their C5's, I bought one. I have MMI in the D3 so now appreciate the improvement--I see Lee just joined us there too! It came with the PNP adapter which I traced through just now. It looks like a Symphony I w/ Bose pin out (no connector II and with 3 car side connectors total; has the telephone wiring in it). Seller said it was in a 2002 2.7. It's a P unit. He screwed up the GPS antenna wire (sourced from Kufatec), so I need a new one if the connector doesnt match the older D Navi style. My current antenna is on the rear deck, but zoomed in the car is always slightly too far back on the map, so I may just put a new one behind the I.P. anyway like in Lee's instructions. The RNS-E has the connector with the large black antenna connector attached to it at the dual connection port and what looks like a space for my other antenna wire (the diversity cable?--the one w/ the small metal 90 degree connector)).

From reading up via the NAVplus.us site and Lee's materials back to the Symphony I and also the D Navi to RNS-E wiring diagram, here are my conclusions along with my questions:

1. Reverse my wiring back to Symphony I level so I can use the PNP connector which looks like a mandatory for RNS-E. Looks like about 5 wires are implicated total--the phone ones and CAN's basically. I don't know if there even is a PNP cable for D Navi to RNS-E esily available. To be safe, maybe even test fit my Symphony I head (still have it) to be sure I got all the wiring back to the baseline. Then test/hook up RNS-E.

2. It looks like I just yank out the TMC box. Doesn't seem to have any relationship to RNS-E. Is this true and will I have the radio, CD AND nav stuff in the center display without it?

3. Looks like I need to take the CAN wires and work them back into my original connectors in the proper Symphony I locations for the PNP connector. Recall my car didn't have them originally from the I.P. but now does to support the D Navi unit. I still have some extra OEM Audi pins and jumpers from my original install.

4. Looks like I need a new MFSW control unit in the relay area. Will the install work without it initially (other than the steering wheel buttons of course) so I can be sure the unit is functioning in case there is any problem with the RNS-E?

Obviously I will recheck the various settings w/ VAG-COM along the way too. Do I have this generally right? Any answers to my questions above, something I am missing, or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some answers: drop me an email...I have some thoughts and ideas....

...yes, you should return the wiring back to stock (prior to the RNSD install) for a few reasons -- but mostly because it will allow you to use your MFSW with the RNSE, OEM BT module etc. As you know, you will need to buy the upgraded 616 MFSW module ($200 part) to get your MFSW to work with the RNSE etc.

--------------------------
1. Reverse my wiring back to Symphony I level so I can use the PNP connector which looks like a mandatory for RNS-E. Looks like about 5 wires are implicated total--the phone ones and CAN's basically. I don't know if there even is a PNP cable for D Navi to RNS-E esily available. To be safe, maybe even test fit my Symphony I head (still have it) to be sure I got all the wiring back to the baseline. Then test/hook up RNS-E.

Ted: your sym I did not have canbus wires behind it....and should not. Return your car back to stock and confirm that your Sym I works as it did before.

2. It looks like I just yank out the TMC box. Doesn't seem to have any relationship to RNS-E. Is this true and will I have the radio, CD AND nav stuff in the center display without it?

Ted: Yep, no tmc needed for the rnse. You should try and secure a cangate from bjarne (search www.navplus.us for him and his cangate device)

3. Looks like I need to take the CAN wires and work them back into my original connectors in the proper Symphony I locations for the PNP connector.

Ted: No. you will want to remove the canbus wires from your cluster and relocate the CLK and data wires (13 and 12 - to 6 and 5). Make sure the CLK and Data wires behind your Sym I wiring are in their factory locations

Recall my car didn't have them originally from the I.P. but now does to support the D Navi unit. I still have some extra OEM Audi pins and jumpers from my original install.

4. Looks like I need a new MFSW control unit in the relay area. Will the install work without it initially (other than the steering wheel buttons of course) so I can be sure the unit is functioning in case there is any problem with the RNS-E?

Ted: You can do the install with the new 616 MFSW module...but you should set up the wiring so you can add this later. This would be my recommendation. I've done this type of install on 10 other pre-2002 A6's.

---------------------------------------------

Talk to you soon.
-Ted
teddybgame@hotmail.com
Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Thanks!

On hold awaiting a few parts then I will return to it. I will review the CAN wires too from what you say and check into what a cangate is about too.