Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Connect App - need clarification of what it does and needs

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Connect App - need clarification of what it does and needs

OK, did some research and came up pretty empty handed.

2014 A8L, just bought used.

So I have Sirius and Sirius Traffic data going... I see the traffic data when I hit info on the nav screen.

Now looking at the MMI Connect app, on an Android.

It appears that you can do a few things... the car locator seems to need Audi Connect (i.e. data connection) active... which I don't have yet.

Can you do anything with this app, i.e. connect via bluetooth or to the wi-fi in the car or does everything hinge on having the broadband data connection in the car enabled?

(I'm researching the best way to do this, use it so little, not going to dump $30 to $50 on a data plan with T-Mobile when I will use it very little)

Any and all information appreciated.

Greg
Old 11-01-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

For your model year, the app does two main things. The first one is a Wifi media player. You need to connect the phone to the car's wifi network and then choose wifi as the source under Media. I believe the app can stream a bunch of international radio stations as well as music stored on your phone. I don't actually use this aspect of the app, but if you are into this, then streaming music over wifi vs Bluetooth will be better quality.

The second thing is online destinations. You can send destinations from your phone to the car via the myAudi Cloud account and you can delete old destinations from the phone you no longer need. The app also integrates with your calendar, so you can pick an appointment with a location and send the location to the car. It also integrates with contacts. On iOS you can also share destinations from Apply Maps, Google Maps, Yelp etc., but as I understand this functionality doesn't work on Android.

The car locator as far as I know is a manual function of the app with your model year. Once you park, you mark the spot. I don't believe it remembers the location automatically, but I've never really tried it myself as I'm not in the habit of forgetting where I parked my car.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for the sending of destinations, you need myconnect working.

But for the wifi media player, I make the phone a client of the car wifi, i.e. no myconnect account needed.

I just ordered a truphone sim, so may get that online too.

Interesting about the parking locator in the app, I thought it read the current location, but now I see that it just seems to let you mark and un mark a map... sheesh..

will try the wifi connection...

Thanks!

Greg