Telematics Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Nightmare in Progress

Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Nightmare in Progress

2005 A6 4.2. I get in my car on 10/19 and the MMI is totally dead. Nothing works. Dealer gets it on 10/20 and tells me I need a part (covered by warranty). Good thing it's covered as he says the part is $1,200. Not sure how long it will take to arrive from Germany. It takes about a month. I drop the car off to get the part installed. Dealer says part has two extra wires and he doesn't want to try it. Thinks Germany sent wrong part. He sends it back. A few weeks later he gets the new part. Same thing. Two extra wires. Learns that the new "universal" part can be used with the two extra wires disabled (I'm guessing they are for a back-up camera and something else that isn't on my 2005). He puts the new part in today, 10 weeks after I first brought the car in, and the MMI picks up short wave radio only. Frustrated after 10 weeks of failure, the service tech takes a 2005 that just came off lease and pulls the part he needs to fix my car. Puts it in. Tries to run an update of some sort (spark?) and the thing goes dead. Now, after 10 weeks of zero MMI (no radio, CD, phone, nav, car set up, nothing) I'm in the exact same place I was on October 20. All is dead and the dealer has no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Warranty has expired in the interim, but this problem is being repaired on the 10/20 service, which is still open, so it is covered.

Any suggestions?