Telematics Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI problem: BT phonebook works, but "Import" and Directory options are grayed out for me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MMI problem: BT phonebook works, but "Import" and Directory options are grayed out for me.

I have a Motorola Q9M (on Verizon network) and it connects without problems to my car via Bluetooth. I'd like to import certain contacts to the MMI's Directory (so that I can easily navigate to contacts' addresses), but that option seems to be grayed out or unavailable. Does anybody know why? I searched the archives and it appears that some people have trouble synching with Verizon phones because of OPP compatibility, but is that an all-or-nothing problem? If I can download my phonebook contacts, why can't I import them into my Directory?

This is the only related thread I could find in the archives:

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/telematics/msgs/919.phtml">Link to archived thread</a>
Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Cat Herder

Default hey, got your email. some thoughts:

C6 and D3 MMI systems get better BT functionality/compatibility with MMI updates (which among other things flash the BT module inside the car with new firmware). My problems were mostly solved by updating my MMI version to 27.40. I have updated to 41.40 since then and changed phones to a BB 8830, which works well.

The B7 A4 used Nav+, which is not a MMI system like the C6's or the D3's. I don't believe it ever had a 'Directory' feature to store numbers, only the ability to read the phone's 'Phonebook' in real time.

Idk the B8 A4 well enough to say if it comes with the 'grown-up' 'Directory' MMI feature, which basically lets you store names/numbers to use with any BT phone that happens to be paired with the car at the time.

Hope that answers your questions. As soon as I can play with a B8 loaner, I'll educate myself further.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm, my MMI user manual talks about the Directory feature, and it's visible in the menu...

but grayed out. Maybe I'll try my wife's phone to see if it's selectable.

Can you tell me how it's supposed to work in the C6 and D3? Do you connect with bluetooth, then go to Name menu, and then Directory and import? Or is there a particular sequence that must be followed. I was expecting to be able to add one or 150 contacts at a time.

Do you have to wait for the phonebook to finish downloading first? I have around 320 contacts in mine. Maybe the function I want becomes available a few minutes down the road after the phone book is fully accessible? I have only tried importing while in the garage.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default UPDATE: Partial success! I was able to import my contacts today (after waiting a minute), but...

It only seems to import the contact's name and phone number, nothing else like address. Do I have to manually input the address into each Directory entry, or is there a way to force the system to import the phone's contact addresses? I thought it was weird to only download half of the data and ignore the address info.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

how did you get it to synch?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The import option was grayed out in my garage, I don't know if it's because my phone book had not...

finished downloading, or if because I didn't have line of sight to satellites (who knows). But once I tried from the road (like 1 minute after leaving the house), the grayed out options were all suddenly available. Very strange. I just wish it would import my addresses too.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Cat Herder

address has never imported for me.