Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my Audi broadcast - Audi Infotainment and Navigation on July 16th

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my Audi broadcast - Audi Infotainment and Navigation on July 16th

I got an email inviting me to a my Audi broadcast event on Audi Infotainment and Navigation happening July 16th, 4pm est. I registered for the event and got an email reply which included a link to participate in the the event - I've pasted the link using the link insertion button here if it works for others (first time posting a link). Just got the email the other day and around to posting this thread.

https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi/overv...-progress-ep-2

Also, it says 'Feel free to submit a question for the team to answer during the event, or you can expect a response from our Customer Experience Center advocates.' so possibly I will get a chance to ask about Audi's MMI / Navigation software version management and if they will improve the customer experience to be more like that of say the PC Industry, with companies like Microsoft /Apple, where the customer gets notified of available updates proactively and the business model is built whereby customers can obtain updates to their original purchase complimentary and only when there is a major software / hardware version release does a customer have to pay and start the process over again.

I think Audi is having a difficult time adapting/learning to build a customer satisfactory business model for supporting a driver experience dependent on hardware/software that matures with time/feedback from customers like the PC industry. Their historical business model is to build a vehicle and sell it 'once'. If during the lifetime use of the vehicle a customer wants added features that they see Audi offer then it's up to the customer to purchase a newer model... not to expect / ask Audi to provide those new features in a hardware or software update to their existing vehicle.

In addition Audi is learning to work with a 3rd party supplier of services - in this case wireless service providers - and in the United States has had their difficulties with T-Mobile actually having very slow download speeds and changing their supported frequencies over the lifetime of Audi vehicles.

Well enough said for now - I'll see how this broadcast works out and looking forward, from others who can attend, feedback on the event.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well the my Audi broadcast today was a 'bust' - wasn't worth the time. It was just a session introducing the novice owner to MMI and Navigation and the questions answered were not complicated. There was a '*this was pre-recorded' message on the screen so unclear how the questions really got submitted.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Today I did get an email response to my question about about Audi's MMI / Navigation software version management and if they will improve the customer experience to be more like that of say the PC Industry, with companies like Microsoft /Apple, where the customer gets notified of available updates proactively and the business model is built whereby customers can obtain updates to their original purchase complimentary and only when there is a major software / hardware version release does a customer have to pay and start the process over again. Here it is:

Hello Audi Enthusiast!

I am contacting you from the Audi Customer Experience Center at Audi of America in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Thank you for your interest in the myAudi:Talking Progress Event Series: MMI/Infotainment.

In response to your question, we appreciate the opportunity to provide you with further assistance.

Per your inquiry, if there is a software update for the MMI software in your vehicle, you will be notified by your Audi dealership. With regard to the navigation system in your vehicle, it may be necessary that you have your maps updated. Map updates are released every 6 months to 1 year. In order to update the navigation it will be necessary for you to schedule an appointment with your local authorized Audi dealership. Your navigation is stored on a hard drive within the vehicle that requires a disc/software update by the dealership. Please note, there is usually a fee associated with the navigation update. While we do not have any cost information available in our department, when scheduling your appointment, the dealership should be able to provide you with an estimate

You are a valued member of our Audi family. If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or contact our dedicated team directly through the Audi Customer Experience Center at +1 800 822 2834. We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Kind regards,

Jamie B.
Audi Digital and Social Media Advocate, Audi CXC

With this response I gather that Audi's corporate customer 'message track' on MMI upgrades is for the Audi dealerships to be responsible for proactively contacting vehicle owners of software updates.
Has anyone been proactively contacted by your Audi dealer that there is an available MMI software upgrade for your vehicle ????

Also, I gather Audi's corporate customer 'message track' on Navigation updates includes:
-Updates are released every 6-12 months
-These updates must be performed by Audi dealerships
-There is usually a fee for the updates to be performed

This is consistent with the Navigation update postings on this forum so no surprises. Has anyone been able to negotiate a complimentary/free Navigation update/s from your Audi dealer? If so any recommendations on approach for the rest of us ?