Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions, please: Motorola V620,V600,V557,V551,V400,V300,V710

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions, please: Motorola V620,V600,V557,V551,V400,V300,V710

I'd appreciate anyone with expertise on any/some/all of these phones to share your insight. My priority is just basic calling capabilities; I'll just leave phone in car - see below).

I believe these are somewhat "older" phones. But as you probably know, Audi has only created a phone CRADLE for Motorola phones (and a few SE's), AND these phones noted are "certified" to work with the handsfree Audi phone/cradle system and download phonebook to car. Unlike the numerous bluetooth possibilities (without cradle), I want to use the cradle because:
1) the phone will always be charging & out-of sight
2) the phone will use the external antenna
3) these older phones are available cheap, and unlocked
5) I'll just leave it in my car (out of sight).

Also, any opinions on cell carriers for basic calling ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Model of Car? Area of country (assuming USA)?

Not that I understand why you're doing this in the first place...but some details are surely essential.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Model of Car? Area of country (assuming USA)?

I have 2006 S4 Avant with Tech package, but no NAV (darn it...).
I live in Seattle area.

My other recent posting thread (HP6945) related to me potentially replacing my PPC6700 PDA with something else (like the HP6945) that would allow the cell phone book to actually be visible to Audi bluetooth. Since then, I've decided to NOT replace my PPC6700.

Instead, I'm likely to add a SECOND phone to my collection, that works with Audi part# cradle (with the advantages of external antenna, charging, neatness in console, etc,) and primarily use it in the car; but having a GSM quad-phone will be useful for my occaisional trips to Europe.

Hence, my new thread/questions about these Motorola phones. I will likely be getting unlocked phone, and also picking a second cell provider (for GSM).

At some point in the future, I'll probably find a new PDA I just have to have, and may be able to consolodate into a single provider account...

Any thoughts you might have are appreciated.

THX
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Cat Herder

Default Ok...

1. You'll have 2 phones in the car with diff #s, both of which could ring at the same time. Should make it interesting...Hope you don't have a manual trans. lol.
2. By the time you've spent the $ on the cradle and the phone, it'll be about the same as getting a new/better BT PDA phone...
3. If you still want to pursue this despite #1 and #2, I'd get the absolute cheapest V600 you can find. GSM coverage is best handled by Cingular with their acquisition of ATT wireless, but check with your local forum for best results.

p.s. The v600 supports OPP and is fully supported in Audi BT kits to include PB.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks.

relative to your comments:
1) I DO have a 6MT, but I don't plan to carry 2 phones in the car. The people that I WANT to find me will know my car phone #.
2) $$ is not the issue with me, but the hassle of and blowing off my existing Sprint PPC6700 would bring an early termination charge. And it's agreat phone, except in my Audi.

I ordered a "new"/unopened V620 10 hrs ago (unlocked) for $120. I made my decision because the use of Audi cradle brings advantage of a TIDY hidden cell installation in console, with built-in TIDY charger, and use of external antenna which may help in the "marginal" areas I transit. AND if the PB in my PPC is invisible to Audi system, what Bluetooth does work? A few people like yourself have taken the time and tried to help (well, actually ONLY you ... THANK YOU!), but I don't want to spend my time experimenting to make sure what works, and what doesn't - I just need a simple phone in the car, that I can use safely while driving.

My heart's desire would be to have ONE PDA that did everything I wanted, with an Audi Cradle that supported it. That does not exist, and never will. Like most of us on this forum, I'm sure I'll change phones many times in the coming month, but I'm happy with my choice at this point.

THX for your help, Pierre!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:18 AM
Cat Herder

You're welcome and good luck.