Telematics Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RNS-E: whats needed to watch DVDs and how much is the part required?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RNS-E: whats needed to watch DVDs and how much is the part required?

is this a quick easy install, as in plug and play? also how can you enable watching while driving (for passengers of course)
Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You need a multimedia adaptor, external DVD player, and video-in-motion...

The multi-media adaptor is the interface between the RCA cables and the RNS-E. There are various makes/models out there, some even offer a remote control input so that basic DVD functions can be accessed via the RNS-E headunit itself. Note, you will need to use shielded A/V cables to avoid interference in the signal. They are more expensive, but protect the signal from any interference from road noise, etc.

The external DVD player will play the movie DVDs. You cannot play movies on the RNS-E headunit.

The video-in-motion is a software hack in the RNS-E itself. Basically requires a downgrade to original euro coding with the video-in-motion code enabled, then a re-upgrade to the current US software. There are a few sources that chrage a few bucks to do this ($50-100 plus shipping) but you can do it for free sicne the files are all avalailable on the Internet for download. Just search for VIM hack in the www.navplus.us website or here in AudiWorld. You need access to a VAG COM cable to force a downgrade in software.

Cost, maybe $400-450 for a multi-media package that includes the DVD player and adaptor, maybe another $20-30 for the shielded cables (depending on where you mount your player...I spent a lot more since my player is mounted in my trunk).

Hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the same installation as BD with the exception of the remote sensor

I installed that in the dome light. Keeps everything very clean. Use a stereo headphone extension cable for the extra length. The trunk mount is nice becuase you don't have to cut up the glove box.
I read there is an interface that will enable DVD control through your RNS-E. Serch navplus for that too