TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

It’s a hand-me-down so I gotta figure some stuff out

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It’s a hand-me-down so I gotta figure some stuff out

Howdy folks, the 2001 TT 130,000 miles AWD, that’s been in the family landed in my garage and needs help. We drove the car home 750 miles so I got some seat time. The car ran great and has lots of giddy up. It’s mostly little stuff, kinda.
The fuel gauge seems to register a full tank but it’s anyone’s guess after that. At half tank it’s really about an eighth.
The speedo worked at low speed but on the interstate it read zero - thank goodness for GPS
At highway speed the traction control and ABS lights come on. Once you stop and turn it back on it stays off until you speed up again.
The lights in the center DIC are missing about half of the dots
I got home to throw my OBD scanner on it and no codes. I’ll take it on the highway with it hooked up to see it live. I thought it should have stored those codes as my scanner can diagnose ABS and traction.
It’s a $3000 car so the dealer is out.
I appreciate the help and plan to help others once I figure this buggy out.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Welcome! Common problems. You’ll want to have the instrument cluster repaired. ( about $3—400. ). The ABS light issues can be a number of things Try scanning it while it is running and the light is on. For some reason some of those codes don’t store. I suspect it will be acceleration sensors either longitudinal or lateral. I replaced both of mine on the coupe a few years back.
Good luck! Lots of help here and at

https://forums.quattroworld.com/tt/

and

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Welcome. Make sure you read the Mk 1 TT FAQ on Patternson's quattroworld link
Old 05-18-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Just because its a $3000.00 car should not mean the dealer is out.
As already suggested, have Tanin Auto Electric or Module Master repair the instrument cluster.

Even if you have to spend another $3,000 to repair the car if you cannot do it yourself it will be worth it. I'm assuming that you want to drive and enjoy the car not just flip it for a few extra dollars.

My son's girlfriend just bought a 2004 A8L for under $2,000 she also put in about $4,000 in parts and my son did all of the labor now they've got an awesome car. It just made the trip from Detroit to Reno Nevada where they moved to, it performed flawlessly.

For $6,000 they got an awesome car. Try and buy one used in that condition, which is great condition, and they'd spend over double that. It is well worth the investment.

However, I'm not telling you how to spend your money....

Last edited by Mister Bally; 05-18-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Just because its a $3000.00 car should not mean the dealer is out.
As already suggested, have Tanin Auto Electric or Module Master repair the instrument cluster.

Even if you have to spend another $3,000 to repair the car if you cannot do it yourself it will be worth it. I'm assuming that you want to drive and enjoy the car not just flip it for a few extra dollars.

My son's girlfriend just bought a 2004 A8L for under $2,000 she also put in about $4,000 in parts and my son did all of the labor now they've got an awesome car. It just made the trip from Detroit to Reno Nevada where they moved to, it performed flawlessly.

For $6,000 they got an awesome car. Try and buy one used in that condition, which is great condition, and they'd spend over double that. It is well worth the investment.

However, I'm not telling you how to spend your money....
No plans to sell the car. It’s been in the family and will stay there. It’s not a DD as we have other vehicles. It’s an extra but fun to drive. My point about the cost was the value vs how much do you spend on an 18 year old 3k car. Just trying to keep it in perspective. I’ve got a few hundred in interior repair planned for sagging headliner and rear boot cover. Thanks for chiming in and telling it like it is.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your fuel gauge, try some Techron fuel system cleaner. Dump it in the tank and hopefully it will clean the fuel sender. It worked on my car and it's been fine for 3 years now.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks Walpole

I’ll give that a try needs it anyway
Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For the interior repairs, take out the panels and just have the upholsterer apply new fabric. Much cheaper that way and you'll take care more than someone else taking it apart.

TIP - The glue that Audi used to bond the fabric and headliner is water solvable. (That is why the fabric lets go - due to humidity dissolving the glue.) Take out the headliner, the trunk floor and the trunk sides. The fabric has plastic backing, and the glue that holds the plastic backing to the trim panel will clean up with a bucket of hot water and a clean rag. It literally dissolves when wiped with the damp rag. The fabric was a bit dirty so I put it in a washing machine under 'knitted fabrics'. MIND YOU - my washing machine does not have a center agitator -that might tear something.

The headliner foam came off real easy with a plastic hand held bristle brush. Then I took it all to a car upholsterer to have everything re-glued with non-soluable glue. They re-used all the original fabric except for the headliner - that was new headliner fabric. Just pick something that is close - the original fabric is 'unobtainium'.

Let me know if you need interior trim disassembly instructions. I PDF'd the ETKA instructions and had minimal surprises. Expect the plastic clip holders to break or crack, so ABS/PVC glue will be a must. I used Permatex Plastic Welder. First rough up w/ sandpaper then clean w/ alcohol for a better bond. Some of those panels have space for fingers under the clips to minimize breakage, but unless you know they are there...

The trunk side panels have clips glued to the panel. Those will probably separate from the panel and will have to be re-glued into position. Take lots of photos for reference.

I'm planning on putting together a How-To for the reno of the interior once I'm done, but that's still a few months off.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Please send the instructions

Thanks I got the headliner out and recovered for $90 and just got it back in. The trunk area is next. Have any leads on clutch pedal rubber? The aluminum cover came off at some point and the nubs are all worn down.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pedal Cover Set

www.ecstuning.com

Drill down to Interior->Pedal.. The OEM kit for the 3 pedals is $48.~ That reminds me, I should order a spare set while they're still in stock.

BTW... The metal clips on the trunk panels were quite stiff and wouldn't release... hence the clips tore off the panel. These can be glued back on - they are not moulded in. Over the years the clip steel became less flexible. It was suggested to me to apply a little bit of grease to the metal clip face and on the body so the spring clips slide in/out more easily.

Remove the trunk floor first. Then the side panels will move easily once released. The rear seat locking post will take a deep socket to remove the locking nut. 11/16 is close enough unless you have a metric socket.

Last edited by JoeKan; 06-05-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: It’s a hand-me-down so I gotta figure some stuff out